Return to the Sansevieria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Suggested Sources for Identifications???

Posted by Pirate_Girl Zone7 NYC (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 14, 04 at 13:15

Hi All,

I tend to lurk here rather than post, but here's my question. Does anyone have suggestions where to go for Sans. IDs? I was lucky enough to be given Hermine's book a few years ago, but am looking for more help than that.

I've got abt 14 different Sans., only abt 6 are IDed. Was given many of them by plant friend/Sans mentor in my C&S group who died a couple of yrs. ago. Some that were IDed have lost their tags, others the IDs were made when obvious (like S. Masons Congo or S. Kirkii v. pulcher). Others are less obvious or in juvenile form (I see the parent can look quite different than the pup, in form as well as color).

TIA for any suggestions = Thanks in advance,

(PG) Karen

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Suggested Sources for Identifications???

Hi. Can you send me pictures? If I can't ID, I can forward
them to folks who might. Or I can send you a web address of
a great discussion group of Sans growers so you can ask
them direct if you wish.
Russ

o

Hi Russ,

Thx for trying, unfortunately I don't have digital camera, so I have no pix of any of them to share. Yes, that would be a good idea (for sometime in the future). Thx again.

o

I know of only two books. Besides H. Stover's, Juan Chahanian also wrote one but it covers only the trifasciata group. I'm in a similar predicament and decided to join the ISS (expensive) and start getting the Journal. I recieved my first issue #8 last week. It helps but isn't the ultimate solution.

A couple of the articles in the Journal stated the whole genus needed a thorough revision, because many plants in the market are misnamed and even filed collected specimens are available. But a revision needs to start with intensive field studies and so far no one has stepped up to the plate with either time or money. Another source I use is the Goggle Image search engine which sometimes has images of the more common species, but it helps to use common sense and realize that pups sometimes don't look like adult plants. And some people mislabel.

If you don't have a digital camera, consider getting one. Believe me any camera up to 1 megapixal (MP) is plenty for posting pictures to this site which has a 60MP limit.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sansevieria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here