Return to the Sansevieria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Posted at C&S: Check twice before throwing it out

Posted by pirate_girl Zone7 NYC (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 17, 12 at 13:41

Hi All,

Rather than post at both places I thought I'd mention it here & refer you there. While they look mostly like green specks, they are, in fact, a trio of tiny, baby Sans. which have just popped up from a forgotten/abandoned rhizome.

These plants are so determined to live NO MATTER WHAT!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Posted at C&S: Check twice before throwing it out

I did see your post, great Job Kanen.

o

Thanks Stush,

Well great job remains to be seen, let's see how the little pups develop, but I got a feelin' they're gonna be really, really cute!

o

They already look pretty cute. Very fun! It's always fun to have nice surprises pop up.

o

Hiya folks,

Here's an update on my baby Sans. coming off this rhizome. It's starting to show its height.

Sans. on rhizome

Of the 3 pups that sprouted, one much taller than the rest.

Sans. on rhizome

the leader of the pack

Sans. on rhizome

I mist it sometimes & water it fairly often.

I unpotted it today, roughed up the underside w/ a tiny rake & then soaked it in some water. Potted it up afterwards into some mix & a bit deeper pot. We'll see what happens.

o

Karen,

so many times i just dumped rhizomes because they looked dead dry to me. thanks for sharing the progress. did you bury rhizome in soil? it looks kind of on a top or is it just for the picture. Congrats

Inna

o

Hi Inna,

It was on top, that's pretty much how I found it so I left it (after I'd removed the dead, dried leaf which had been attached to it).

After I roughed up bottom of the rhizome & soaked it yesterday, I did bury it deeper in other mix (w/bit more organics) in a small container, as I needed this one, which is how I discovered this happy surprise in the first place.

Thanks for the congrats. I'll post updates.

o

Looking good! Thanks for the update.

o
RE: Sprouting Rhizome Update

Well hi again,

I meant to post 2 wks later, when the taller one took off. Here they are a month later, pretty fast growing little guys.

Photobucket

closer up

Look at the visible roots at the base of the taller one.

Photobucket

o

That is very cool! Isn't it wild how they start as a little spike and those first few leaves start zooming up and getting fatter? Fascinating!

o

Updating this while I've got the chance. This is eleven months later.

photo P1100277_zpsbe050183.jpg

These little guys are coming along nicely (tho' I lost 1 pup along the way).

photo P1100278_zps4aa4e323.jpg

o

Very nice and clean!

Josh

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sansevieria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here