Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cryptides

Dry snake plant?

cryptides
10 years ago

I'm new to gardening and I just bought a very small snake plant yesterday. I was reading up on it and heard that if the tips of the leaves are dry it won't grow. The tips of mine are a bit dry but not as much as the ones in the pictures and examples I've found so far, so I'm wondering if there's anything I can do still, or if they're already lost?
There's also a small offshoot/pup/whatever that might be healthier but has a tiny bit of dryness around the edges?
I've attached pictures of it all, hopefully a more experienced gardener will know what's going on!!
http://i.imgur.com/x7Y8doh.jpg (the worst one)
http://i.imgur.com/3nEMbuA.jpg (just the tip is dry?)
http://i.imgur.com/6bnjQMU.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/5sWhzQu.jpg (the pup?)
I hope I'm posting this correctly! Any help is greatly appreciated!

Comments (9)

• Michaela
    10 years ago

Hi Cryptides. Your pictures did not show up (at least on my screen). You need to click on the word "browse", and find your picture in your computer to get it to show up here. You will know if you did it right when you click "preview" as the picture will be there with your text before you click 'send'.

BUT, if your plants are obviously dry, you need to get then some water immediately! Sansevierias have rhizomes which store water for the plant, but there are limits to how much water they can store. If your plant was potted in a peat mix, like many are in stores and nurseries, and that mix is bone dry, you need to get that mix back to the moisture level of a well wrung out dishrag and let the roots and rhizome begin gathering moisture. Keep it out of any direct sun, but see that it gets good light.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

Your links:

This leaf looks like it got bent.

Looks like something bumped into it hard enough to damage it.

Yes, a pup.

These damages all look mechanical to me, from being shipped, moved around the store.

Not sure what you were reading, but that makes no sense, and I've never heard it before. Unless it just got rained on, or is guttating, the leaves of any plant are always dry.

Although a Sans outside in tons of sun and heat in the middle of summer can use a lot of water, an indoor Sans would use water much less quickly and may go for weeks at times without needing water.

Once a leaf is damaged, it's not possible to have that leaf look perfect again. Any brown edges removed will soon turn to a new brown edge. This is why I like to have plenty of room in a pot for new pups to form quickly. New foliage is much more pretty, IMHO. What do you think?

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    10 years ago

Yes I agree, leaf damage. Hope you didn't overwater it now. It that meant dying plants, we'll all have dead plants. Nothing wrong here. The new leaves will be better like 'Purpleinopp' said. Those blemishes don't brother me as long as the plant is healthy.

Mike,
    You have to copy all the picture link into your brower and hit enter.

10 years ago

I made links to the pics so no pasting is necessary.

Yes, Stush, that's an important point, the plant looks perfectly healthy. As you may remember, I dropped that big 5-gallon pot upside-down while inside which bent the tips of a lot of the leaves, and the tips of most of the existing leaves on my plants got frost bite this spring, browning the tips, but the leaves are otherwise fine, and many new pups. Maybe if I was more careful, I'd have some better looking older leaves. For sure, but as you said, these blemishes don't affect the health of the plant, they are more like battle scars (and signs of inadvertent/accidental abuse in my case.)

No way a plant bought yesterday could be a sign of its' new owners treatment, so not at all saying that. (I don't say stuff between the lines, I just say what I'm thinking.) Just saying that if you don't bump it around or bend the leaves, nothing new like that should show up on the leaves.

• Michaela
    10 years ago

Oh, my fault! I didn't know how to open the picture and assumed the whole pot, leaves and all, were dry. Sorry!

10 years ago

It is definitely possible for peat to get that dry, Michaela! Good info to have.

• cryptides
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all for your prompt replies!! I was definitely freaking out a bit, I've never really had any plants before and am already very emotionally invested in their well being. Thank you!!!!!

10 years ago

Glad to try to help. Any time you're unsure, just add a pic or two. Somebody will pop by and help. Sans has lots of fans.

So is this plant outside until it gets too cold, or going to be inside all of the time?

Stush, I'm surprised you didn't say which one you think it is. You usually do, and rarely wrong. Moonshine? (Asking about possible hybrid name, not about your thirst!)

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    10 years ago

Purple,
    Ha Ha. Don't get the chance to get any moonshine. And your right about the name. Note the dark green edge. Very typical of Moonshine. And in this heat it will send up pups quite freely. Also I think the soil most southern nurseries are using is composted bark, twigs and peat. Peat is getting expensive now a days. Just a best guess.

Cryptidesk,
    You would be pleased with your purchase. The new shoots will be lighter and nicer than those old brused up leaves. And welcome to our forum.
    Stush