Return to the Sansevieria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sans Back to Ruscaceae?

Posted by solar_storm 24 CA (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 10, 13 at 16:13

Earlier in July 2013 I attended the CSSA Convention in Austin TX. Among the speakers was Len Newton (prof of microbiology at Kenyatta Univ. in Kenya. Len spoke on the 5 arboresscent Sans species; S. arborescens, S. powysii, S. bagamoyensis, S. ascendens, and S. powellii. See flicker link for photos. But during his talk he mentioned that in his revised article for the Illustrated Handbook of Succulent Plants - Monocots, he is moving the sans back to ruscaceae. Jut thought some you would like to be informed.

Here is a link that might be useful: Five Arborescent Sans species

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sans Back to Ruscaceae?

I didn't even consider powysii and powellii to be in that group. Interesting, as I have both. Now I have to take a better look at them. I'd like to read the article. Maybe it will be in the Sans Journal. Thank you for the link. Good picture.

Michael
Interlaken NY Z6

o

Prof Newton said the reason he was moving Sans back to Ruscaceae was because of recent genetic studies in TX (UT or A&M?). He went on to say plant taxonomy is rapidly being revised as a result of these studies. I too hope to see articles on genetic studies in the ISS Journal.

o

If the Sans. Journal says so and only then. Dr.Len Newton is the one to ask. I don't change my labels. Norma

o
RE: Sans Back to Ruscaceae? okay yes

Then I just may change my labels, there is no rush to do so. It also says if a plant had that name and it's been accepted for many years, it is not wise to do so, It will take 50 yeard to convience us to do so. I am still having problems with a Kalanchoe trysiflora, and luacae one has yelolow flowers and one white. Both extremely different. The one with the golden yellow flowers smell sweetly and hard to find to buy. Norma

o

Unless you include the plant Family on your labels, no changes in plant names would be implied. This taxonomy is from wikipedia.

Kingdom: Plantae
Clade: Angiosperms
Clade: Monocots
Order: Asparagales
Family: Asparagaceae
Subfamily: Nolinoideae
Genus: Sansevieria

o
RE: Sad News

I'm sorry to hear that news, I hope it only aplies to those spedies, for 20 Years I used those names. I just hate when they change the the names back and forth. Well now they have something to write about. Norma

o

I have always said this, I wish they would list all Sans by their genetic DNA. Their was a similar study done on bulbs in 'Bulbs of the World'. I found this in the Great Lakes Bulb Society. It list all family of bulbs and how they were related. Which helps in hybridizing. Which plants can cross with other plants. It may list which is a species and which is a hybrid or cross. Such a study would cost a lot of money and time. It would be a great undertaking.

It would place which Sans was the start of it all and list all the branches of the family to follow.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sansevieria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here