Return to the Sansevieria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My Rhizome which Sprouted

Posted by pirate_girl Zone7 NYC (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 11, 12 at 17:48

Hi Folks,

I don't think I've shown this yet, another interesting Sans. propagation.

I believe it was Norma who suggested that one can plant just the Rhizome, so that's what I did & here now, is the pup that's been developing for a few months. Slow but steady as they say.

FYI: for any who don't know, Rhizome is the root of Sans. just I partially plant a hunk of root (which you can still see on the right in the shot).

Photobucket

I'll see how this develops.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My Rhizome which Sprouted

How cute is that?! That's a HUGE chunk of root, isn't it? How long did it take for the pup to break out? Photobucket wouldn't make this pic bigger for me and I looked through both parts of my bifocals and wish I would see that thing in person. (But just glad I can see at all!)

o

No, sorry Purple (we meet again!!), my pix aren't clickable. I'll check at home to see what that tag says as to date, if memory serves I potted it up last Fall.

I'll check & get back to ya. Yea, I think it's pretty cute too.

Another excellent lesson inspired by Norma & her Sans. suggestions.

o

Sorry Purple,

I just checked, no tag to be found, oh well. It continues on nicely.

o

Excellent to hear, and thanks!

o

Sorry to be late to the party, I agree - cute pup. It looks quite vigorous and is probably not going to be a first generation form (flat rosette). I'll lay odds that it's going to be a flat and stiff leaf species like masoniana.

o

Hi Solar,

I don't believe we've met.

"probably not going to be a first generation form (flat rosette). I'll lay odds that it's going to be a flat and stiff leaf species like masoniana."

You've made comments which I don't follow w/ terms I haven't heard before. Can you pls. explain, 1st generation, flat form? Thanks in advance.

o

I was wondering too...

o

Well I saw this Pic so thought I'd update this thread. I think I'd bumped this & knocked it out of the pot. So before I put it back, I thought I'd show its roots, it's a good grower.

photo P1090386_zps19ff4663.jpg

thick leaves from the beginning

photo P1090385_zps0a03fe1c.jpg

o

I see I failed to a request to explain "generations". That is my term. S. fischeri (formerly singularis) is a good example. Sans are monocotyledons and so when a seed sprouts it has one leaf. The next "generation" will be a rosette with 3-6 flat leaves held horizontally. As the plant grows the leaves will gradually become tusk like ~6-8" long. After a few years the leaves will become vertical with 1-2/ growth/rosette. The final adult generation will produce a single vertical leaf that can exceed 6 feet. Of course not all sans show this progression.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sansevieria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here