Return to the Sansevieria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
S. parva variegated

Posted by woodnative 6 (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 21, 13 at 19:51

I LOVE this plant but it has been heck to grow. Someone VERY kindly sent me this plant. It produced two very pale pups in 2011 and one in 2012. The variegation was better towards the top of the plant so last fall I cut it in half. Both halves are fine.......this is the top half and I hope hope hope it replicates itself this year. I would like at least one spare and would hate to lost it! Anyone else here growing this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: S. parva variegated

It is very handsome

o

Hi Chris,

I have a couple other variegated parvas. They haven't been a problem so far. Here's a couple of pics. This one is S. parva Gilt Edge

o

This one is S. parva White. It was a rainy day today and the colors are off. Actually, every day has been rainy for weeks and weeks. The sans don't seem to mind though.

o

VGP Thank you. Bmock your plants look very happy and well-grown. Great job!!! I have the white variegated parva too, in your second photo. Despite all the white it is still a very vigorous grower. S. parva in general is pretty darn vigorous. This randomly variegated yellow plant is, of r some reason, notoriously slow. On top of that the variegation pattern is unstable.....making a double whammy.

o

I also got the Parva White like Bmock but not nearly as nice as hers. After growing one all winter with no new growth but no leaf loss. It just died for me. Trying again with same results. Hope something changes here for me.

o

Chris, looks like you are having good luck, your plant is lookin' good. Sometimes the challenge is a good part of the fun. Probably the reason it's not more common.
Stush, I hope your white parva gets going this summer. Good luck with it.
I do think our southern climate is helpful in growing sans. When I lived in south Fla., it was just too easy to grow almost anything. Georgia is almost like Fla in the summer.

o

Thank you Bmock for the encouraging words. I wish I could grow them like Woodnative. His is so nice so are yours. Mine is just existing. Waiting for new growth. My other sans are doing fine. I love this time of year. Nothing like seeing new growth in the form of offsets (pups). Maybe next year or so I could add a Parva yellow to my collection. After I see what becomes of the Parva white.
Stush

o

I used to have parva yellow, but I gave it away to a better grower because I was losing it. I think its hard to keep. I can keep parva white, but not parva yellow. Very strange. Best of luck to you, Chris!

o

Great news, got new growth on my parva white. All 3 of them. No happy dance untill I see pups.
Stush

o

Ha, Mr. Stush! Given your track record you better put off any dancing until after the coming winter is over :-)

o

Mike,
On my past plants, I got no new growth and no leaf loss. It just sat there. This time I got growth!! Also I think I found out why I had the big loss. I will not tell untill I survive this winter.

o

Ok, here's mine. I ment to say all 4 of them. Not as nice as some but it is starting to grow.

o

I'm late to this thread but wanted you to see my variegated parva. I just took the pictiure and pot out of 1" water. I don't have any of the white variegated parva, but looking. I also have the gilt edge (yellow), but it's pups tend to revert to normal.

o

Hi Solar Storm,

That's a nice parva. Looks to be the same as Woodnative's. It's so interesting that you can actually grow it sitting in water. We have all heard so much about growing sans with good drainage, letting them dry out, etc, etc, it is good to hear about a different approach. Sans must really be adaptable to grow in so many different conditions. Please keep posting your photos!

o

I had cut this plant in half. Both top and bottom rooted and I finally got some one nice variegated pup from the top half and another looks like it is forming. On top of that......it is now flowering!! This is on the windowsill at home. The bottome half continues to produce mostly albino pups but I did also get one with some pigment on it. Cutting the original in half was a good idea. This is a tricky plant but I like it!!

o

Chris,
Very good on your part. Are you going to pollinate it and maybe get seeds? The seedlings may revert back to an all green plant. I myself will not try. Also I think it will give a death signal to main stock. But It will pup out.
The white parva that I got also had a bloom stock. It died but I got 4 new pups from it. All nicer than the main plant.
Stush

o

Very nice!

Josh

o

Four small seed pods. I guess it is self fertile

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sansevieria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here