Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
woodnative

S. parva variegated

woodnative
10 years ago

I LOVE this plant but it has been heck to grow. Someone VERY kindly sent me this plant. It produced two very pale pups in 2011 and one in 2012. The variegation was better towards the top of the plant so last fall I cut it in half. Both halves are fine.......this is the top half and I hope hope hope it replicates itself this year. I would like at least one spare and would hate to lost it! Anyone else here growing this?

Comments (34)

• VGardenProject
    10 years ago

It is very handsome

• barbmock
    10 years ago

Hi Chris,

I have a couple other variegated parvas. They haven't been a problem so far. Here's a couple of pics. This one is S. parva Gilt Edge

• barbmock
    10 years ago

This one is S. parva White. It was a rainy day today and the colors are off. Actually, every day has been rainy for weeks and weeks. The sans don't seem to mind though.

• woodnative
    Original Author
    10 years ago

VGP Thank you. Bmock your plants look very happy and well-grown. Great job!!! I have the white variegated parva too, in your second photo. Despite all the white it is still a very vigorous grower. S. parva in general is pretty darn vigorous. This randomly variegated yellow plant is, of r some reason, notoriously slow. On top of that the variegation pattern is unstable.....making a double whammy.

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    10 years ago

I also got the Parva White like Bmock but not nearly as nice as hers. After growing one all winter with no new growth but no leaf loss. It just died for me. Trying again with same results. Hope something changes here for me.

• barbmock
    10 years ago

Chris, looks like you are having good luck, your plant is lookin' good. Sometimes the challenge is a good part of the fun. Probably the reason it's not more common.
    Stush, I hope your white parva gets going this summer. Good luck with it.
    I do think our southern climate is helpful in growing sans. When I lived in south Fla., it was just too easy to grow almost anything. Georgia is almost like Fla in the summer.

10 years ago

Thank you Bmock for the encouraging words. I wish I could grow them like Woodnative. His is so nice so are yours. Mine is just existing. Waiting for new growth. My other sans are doing fine. I love this time of year. Nothing like seeing new growth in the form of offsets (pups). Maybe next year or so I could add a Parva yellow to my collection. After I see what becomes of the Parva white.
    Stush

• Michaela
    10 years ago

I used to have parva yellow, but I gave it away to a better grower because I was losing it. I think its hard to keep. I can keep parva white, but not parva yellow. Very strange. Best of luck to you, Chris!

10 years ago

Great news, got new growth on my parva white. All 3 of them. No happy dance untill I see pups.
    Stush

• Michaela
    10 years ago

Ha, Mr. Stush! Given your track record you better put off any dancing until after the coming winter is over :-)

10 years ago

Mike,
    On my past plants, I got no new growth and no leaf loss. It just sat there. This time I got growth!! Also I think I found out why I had the big loss. I will not tell untill I survive this winter.

10 years ago

Ok, here's mine. I ment to say all 4 of them. Not as nice as some but it is starting to grow.

• Solar_Storm
    10 years ago

I'm late to this thread but wanted you to see my variegated parva. I just took the pictiure and pot out of 1" water. I don't have any of the white variegated parva, but looking. I also have the gilt edge (yellow), but it's pups tend to revert to normal.

• barbmock
    10 years ago

Hi Solar Storm,

That's a nice parva. Looks to be the same as Woodnative's. It's so interesting that you can actually grow it sitting in water. We have all heard so much about growing sans with good drainage, letting them dry out, etc, etc, it is good to hear about a different approach. Sans must really be adaptable to grow in so many different conditions. Please keep posting your photos!

• woodnative
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I had cut this plant in half. Both top and bottom rooted and I finally got some one nice variegated pup from the top half and another looks like it is forming. On top of that......it is now flowering!! This is on the windowsill at home. The bottome half continues to produce mostly albino pups but I did also get one with some pigment on it. Cutting the original in half was a good idea. This is a tricky plant but I like it!!

10 years ago

Chris,
    Very good on your part. Are you going to pollinate it and maybe get seeds? The seedlings may revert back to an all green plant. I myself will not try. Also I think it will give a death signal to main stock. But It will pup out.
    The white parva that I got also had a bloom stock. It died but I got 4 new pups from it. All nicer than the main plant.
    Stush

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

Very nice!

Josh

• woodnative
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Four small seed pods. I guess it is self fertile

• woodnative
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Bump for Barb and Mentha

• Mentha (East TN, Zone 6B-7A)
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Nice, all of them.

woodnative,

Were you able to grow out the seeds? How long did it take to get that size? Do the white ones come true from cuttings also?

• barbmock
    8 years ago

Thanks, I enjoyed reading through and seeing these pictures again.

8 years ago

It looks like I will be trying my hand at leaf propagation sooner than later. I just borked a leaf off of one of the Sans Mike gave me when I was feeding my cats today. >.< I guess we'll see if the crested hahnii will come true from a leaf. At least it will give me something to do tomorrow if in fact we do have snow tonight. How long should I let it callous before I plant it? I also usually plant cuttings in perlite. Is that sufficient? It's been ages since I've tried Sans from a leaf I lost all of my plant notes two moves ago.

• barbmock
    8 years ago

Oh, if I accidentally break a leaf, I just leave it laying around for a few weeks and then stick it in a pot with another plant. There must be a more correct way to do this, but I have had a few start this way. And of course they will start in water, so why not perlite,

• barbmock
    8 years ago

Mentha, you can get some leaf propagation advice here.

http://forums.gardenweb.com/discussions/3036520/propagation?n=155

8 years ago

Thanks Barb. I think I've read through it a few times already. I need to go get a stack of pots, a bottle of aspirin, and some Pro-Mix HP very soon, so I am going to wait until I have some soil to pot it up. I'm also looking at propagation mats trying to decide if I want to make my own or just buy one. Spring can not come soon enough.

• mlaforet05
    8 years ago

I'm enjoying everyones enthusiasm over parva, and Mentha's comment re Hahnii 'crested'. Mentha, that H. 'Crested' has very brittle leaves including the point of attachment to the stem. They snap off easily. Fortunately, they also root easily. A nice planting mix is just fine. Planted leafs come true. I'm counting on you to spread that little cutie around next summer as the pot is full of pups and needs thinning. Asprin? Really?

8 years ago

Aspirin is an old, old farmer's trick. It is a synthetic salicylic acid and is an excellent rooting hormone. If I could find a good source for ditch willow I'd use that instead. I have used aspirin and willow tea on almost any kind of plant with excellent results. I stumbled on it when I was rooting brugmansia and willow in the same jar and the brugmansia had inch long roots in two days.

8 years ago

How do you make willow tea? Regular pussy willow work? I was going to experiment with binge weed tea. Ground up weed with hot water. Strain or not and let cuttings set in for a hour or so. Or use with watering routine.

Mike, I think I would love to have one of the Crested Hahnii if you can start me one.

Stush

• Sans2014
    7 years ago

Stush did you ever try your binge weed tea experiment?

• mlaforet05
    7 years ago

Always nice to see your plants Chris! You did a nice job with this parva.

7 years ago

Fred, I did try the binge weed tea thing with Rose of Sharon cuttings and at first, I had rot in the stems but changed the water and next planted them in coarse soil. Most sprouted roots and now have several new trees. If using this, keep cuttings in for only two days at most then plant in moist soil. Using on succulents, I would use as a watering use after straining.

• woodnative
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Wow this is an older post that is nice for me to see to refresh my memory on the timeline. Mike L I couldn't have done it without you!!! I love this cultivar and after an initial slow start it has done very well for me and I have been able to spread it around to a few people on this group! -Chris

7 years ago

Mike, Never saw that crested Hahnii. I guess she has some troubles. Hope all is well with you.

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH