Return to the Sansevieria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New leaves are flat, not round

Posted by wiccadgardener z8 CA (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 26, 07 at 20:48

I found some kind of cylindrical sans. at the grocery store (it was labelled "Foliage in clay pot" very helpful) anyway, recently it has produced some new leaves, but they are flat, like regular leaves. Should I cut these off? Will it ever produce cylindrical leaves? Thanks for any info/advice.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New leaves are flat, not round

DO NOT REMOVE THESE LEAVES!! Many people love this juvenile stage of cylindrical sans growth. It is putting out a pup. When the pup is large enough, you can remove it to it's own pot where it will grow straight, long, hard leaves.. I wish mine would pup. You are living right,you lucky girl.
Johanna

o

Thank you for the advice! I probably would have eventually cut them off thinking it was reverting back to the normal leaves or something.

o

Well here's a interesting lesson, which may be new info. for some folks.

Some Sans, when young, have entirely different looking leaves than when more mature.

I had the same experience as the poster w/ a S. patens pup, (Patens tends to have cylindrical leaves in a fan configuration) yet the brand new leaves came up & opened flat as a sheet of paper. I thought it was just amazing to see!

o

I think perhaps you are both mixed up. New growth started from leaf cuttingswill be different. New leaves starting from an unerground rhyizome will be like the mother plant or even from a stolen.
They are just smaller, shorter until they grow up.
From seed they are very likely to be flat. There are always exceptions.
But I believe we are discussing cylindrica.
Cylindrica v. cylindrica only has 2-3 leaves to a growth. Which S. cylindrida do you have? Norma

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sansevieria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here