Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
soliteyah

Sans not growing?

soliteyah
18 years ago

Hi all,

I'm attempting to grow my first sans. Not sure what kind it is, but I think I got it at Home Depot, so I'm sure it's not too exotic. I've had it for a few months and it's done okay, but there's been no signs of new growth since I got it. Unfortunately it was overwatered about a month or two ago because I left the window open during a rain storm. The lower leaves started to get mushy and rot away, so I took it out and repotted it in standard potting soil. The roots are still a bit brownish, but I figure if they were really malfunctioning the thing wouldn't still be upright -- right?

I haven't watered it much at all since then -- figured it would be better to err on the side of underwatering. The soil is very dry now -- do you think watering and fertilizing might help it start growing? Do you think I should trim the roots a bit to encourage new growth?

Thanks for any tips.

, in case that helps...

Comments (7)

• pirate_girl
    18 years ago

Sorry to tell you, but your link is not working, says "remote linkage forbidden ... upgrade your account"

• soliteyah
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hmmm... how about this one?

Here is a link that might be useful: Sans

• gardenmadness
    18 years ago

Now that link works! You have a perfectly lovely plant that looks quite healthy. According to Juan Chahinian's Sansevieria trifasciata book, your plant is called Sans. trifasciata 'Robusta'. I have also heard debate that it is called 'Moonshine Reversion' because it can sometimes be obtained as an offset or leaf cutting of 'Moonshine'. I'll bet you had the overwatering problem because it was already watered to death at Home Depot and then the rain was over the top. I have my 'Futura Simplex'(same plant w/ wide yellow margin down sides of leaves) in bright indirect light but in a clay pot and I have to water it weekly. My best advice to you though as someone who has worked in the nursery business for 20 years is to invest in a water meter. Depot sells them for about $7 and it is a probe you put in the soil that tells you if the bottom of the pot is moist or dry. Often the top looks dry but if in plastic or ceramic pots, the soil tends to stay wet much longer and you would never know by just looking at it.
    Sans need fertilizer only monthly in the growing season. Remember, they tend to grow slow unless you are growing outside in Cali or Florida but windowsill people tend to get only a one or two offsets a season. Be patient, yours will multiply. Really, the only thing you can do wrong is overwater, as you have seen.
    I actually work at Home Deput and my store only gets 'Futura Simplex'. If you ever want to trade for a 'Robusta' like yours, just let me know.
    Happy growing and beware, Sans can be addictive! :)
    Lori

• soliteyah
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks so much for responding! I ended up watering and fertilizing a few days ago (didn't touch the roots), and it seemed to perk up a little. Do you think it's worth putting it outside for the summer? It gets pretty humid here and temps go up into the 90's -- I wouldn't want to wilt or burn the leaves. I should probably just be safe, be patient, and leave it inside. :-)

The water meter is a good idea...I've had watering issues with other plants, so it would probably help me quite a bit!

• dufflebag2002
    18 years ago

Lucky you, it looks like a stacking type of San. Looks to me like a Sans. T.'Moonshne' reversion. It's a very nice plant. I have noticed that mine flower mostly in the winter months. When I'm not watering hardly at all, I did put heat in the greenhouse this year that really helped keep them alive and growing well. It's very hot here now, and they have slowed down, but the heat has caused the seed to germinate. I am not noticing new growth at this time.
    Juan Chahinian's new book will be available this week, I can hardly wait to get it, I have been told it will be a great help to identify the plants, thank goodness.
    I'm still adding to my collection of this species, which has always been one of my favorites. Norma

• rjm710
    18 years ago

I keep all my houseplants outside for the summer, including Sans. The Sans are in a shady spot, with no saucer underneath. They are doing fine and growing!

• dufflebag2002
    18 years ago

I'm sure glad that you mentioned no saucer, they like to drain fast. Be careful of sunburn. That plant should have all green leaves. Not all S.'Robusta' stacks, not all agree with this designation for this plant. I just call mine S. 'Moonshine' reversion, which it is.