Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mister_a_gw

Pups everywhere! - Pot sizes?

Mister_A
9 years ago

Hi there... At the beginning of winter, I bought a hahnii/bird's nest snakeplant in a 4" pot. It was two similarly-sized pups, each over 4" wide, crammed and looking like they were strangling each other. I thought the merciful thing to do was divide it immediately. I put it into a pair of 6" pots, mixing some cactus soil with the heavier soil that it had come to me in.

I'm new to snakeplants, and my hope that they would each fill the pots with two nice, even-looking bird's nests. Both plants settled in nicely on my window and tried to send up a new leaf, but this stopped and now I see that each one has *4* rapidly-growing pups tight up against the plant, far more than I would have expected given the size of the pots. I'm really happy they're doing so well, but t's going to get crowded in there very soon.

Did I overestimate how large of a pot these two plants needed? If my goal is larger, fuller individual plants, should I divide again (once these pups are established) and put them into 4" or even 3" pots, or is there no use in fighting this and I should just let it happen? If I go that route and it fills the current pots, do I need to prepare for even more pups off the pups if I end up replanting in a couple of years? Thanks for any advice.

This post was edited by Mister_A on Sun, Jul 20, 14 at 22:05

Comments (2)

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler