Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
norma_2006

Experts

norma_2006
13 years ago

There are no experts on San. many are not named, or have phony names, or different names depending what country they are grown. So don't be fooled, I was tricked as well I have been fooled and I am supposed to know something. A lady which I consider as an expert made the same mistake as I did. We are not experts. We do the best we can to help each other. The plant that MAY be 'Bantel's Sensation' may not be, I can't judge picure well, unless taken by an expert./ It has stripes, there are four forms of this plant which has to do with coloring but what about the tip of the leaves? There are things that I need to see to be sure of an identification, and first I need to know what to look for. That is why I have most of mine with labels. I may be stupid but I am not dumb, I learn from my mistakes. Norma

Comments (15)

• tf.-drone
    13 years ago

Hi Norma,

what do you mean? Of course there are experts on Sansevieria, but those normally do not waste their time writing in an internet forum. And they will certainly refuse IDing plants by photos except it is even clear for a sanseviria 'prentice like me.

• norma_2006
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Just who do you think are experts. I know many botanists, none claim to be experts. I have seven books written by knowledable people, none claim to be experts. I have a plant with a Lav # he will not give me a name of a Sansevieria, but he collected most of them. Know where to find them, you are lucky if they even tell you what kind of soil they were growing. Where you at the Phoeniz Conventon well there was 4 of them sitting at the same table all from Africa. who are these experts that you know? Now what useful infomation have you told us.
    Norma

• norma_2006
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Now who are those experts? Thank you in advance for this information. I just don't know any yet. Norma

• tf.-drone
    13 years ago

Well,

claiming not to be an expert is a sign of modesty. I would count all those who contribute regularly to the journal Sansevieria as experts. Just do not expect them to know EVERYTHING. So if they refuse to ID a plant for you, they have probably good reasons.

So let me ask - what do you need an Sansevieria expert FOR?

Helli

• norma_2006
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I wish I would know some one who I can can consult. I really would like to have the corrct names with the right plant. Not three different plants claiming the same name. We need DNA on each plant. So now who is the expert. Norma

• tf.-drone
    13 years ago

Hi Norma,

well, the problem is, that someone has to solve the gordian Sansevieria knot. As Juan stated in his book, this takes about seven man years to complete. Somebody has to pay these studies, but who is willing to donate these $500000? I am afraid we will have to wait for DNA studies.

But you want names. I would say, experts are, among others, Juan Chahinian, Stephen Jankalski, Alan Butler, John Lavranos, Len Newton, Isobyl LaCroix.

Helli

• norma_2006
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I see several authors of articles not all are experts. I have been growing this species since 1978, I'm not an expert. Helli how long have you been growing this species and do you consider yourself an expert yet. If you write an article about your plants, would you consider yourself an expert. I consider my self as a hobbiest, and informed thanks to that Innational Journal and the Huntington Gardens training. Norma

• tf.-drone
    13 years ago

Hi Norma,

hmm how long? My normal trifasciata has been surely more than 20 years in my care, but I started in earnest only about 3 years ago.

Ssurely I know more about Sansevieria than the common plant lover, but I am certainly no expert.

• norma_2006
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Helli I have several plants that I need an ID. Names are changing so fast I am sure that I have mixed up quite a few. I wish I never listened to others and changed my original labels with the documentation. Have you seen all the new changes yet? Well I have and I really feel it has confused the names even more. This was not done by an expert, only someone who thinks they are. I hate this disrespect toward the scholars. I find that I have a plant that is not that at all. I have what they declared to be S. humiflora but really is not. I have three R 1881 all look different are there really that many? Are they all huiflora? I also have the new S. Bella several different clones as well, Gooh nite all. Norma

• tf.-drone
    13 years ago

Hi Norma,

well that is some of the fun with Sansevieria, don't you think? Those ID riddles are annoying and thrilling at the same time. The real fun will begin if Sansevieria earnestly is included in Dracaena.

But no, a R 1881 should always look the same, since it is a collection of single plant.

I have a S. humiflora labelled plant as well, but only a few weeks. We shall see how it turns out.

Helli

• norma_2006
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Helli keep me posted on that S. humiflora of yours. I have seriouly studied Sans. for the past 20 years, Juan C got me hooked 20 years ago. I had only three plants in 1978. Then volunteered at the Huntington, received 60 plants at once, then helped Juan move to Florida, and was given a gift of 60 or more. I really like them now, and can ID a few on sight. I have one that I suspect the flowers should open tonight. Well it is still not open. Hermine Stover tried to get seed on hers and failed, and gave me a piece several years ago, I am going to try and hand pollinate this plant. Norma Good Night all.

• brodyjames_gw
    13 years ago

Norma,

YOU may not consider yourself and expert, but on this forum, you ARE. It would be wonderful if you wrote an article or book chronicling your experiences growing sans, including what to and not to do. I'm sure many of us would be lining up to buy a copy.

Nancy

• tf.-drone
    13 years ago

Hi Nancy & Norma,

that is what I meant too... expertism is relative.

Oh, and I will open a new thread for S. humiflora. The pictures are already taken, yesterday was sunny and warm.

Helli

• brodyjames_gw
    13 years ago

Hi Helli,

You too seem to have more knowledge on these plants than most, from what I've gathered here at Gardenweb.com. Maybe you should write a book also! :)

Nancy

• tf.-drone
    13 years ago

Hi Nancy,

that is very sweet of you, thanks! But no. I would be a laughing stock.

Helli