Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wankel

Leopard Bat vs. Baseball Bat

wankel
19 years ago

Bob Smoley sells a Sansevieiria Fischerii as "LEOPARD BAT". What is the difference between this and the Sans HAHLII "BASEBALL BAT"?

Can't find a picture of the Leopard Bat anywhere...

Thanks

Comments (10)

• Michaela
    19 years ago

Smoley's fischeri Leopard Bat is just a name for the juvenile form of S. fischeri (aka singularis). The juvenile form takes the shape of a 3-4 leaved rosette whose leaves are about 4-6 inches long in my experience. After a few years in this form, it takes off throwing out long, banded 'horns' that in native habitat might reach as much as 3 meters.

S. hallii 'Leopard bat' is a separate species.

Which Leopard Bat were you hoping to find a picture of?
    Mike

• wankel
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Mike, I was hoping to find a pic of a S. Hallii Leopard Bat. "Bats" are missing from my Sans collection and I am trying to find some that are unique...

• cactusalan
    19 years ago

Sansevieria 'Leopard Bat' is a naturally occurring hybrid of S. fischeri and possibly S. raffillii. It is NOT a juvenile form of anything, nor is it a form of S. hallii (which used to be known as 'Baseball Bat'). If you want to find out more about sansevierias, why not join the International Sansevieria Society. The web site is www.cactus-mall.com/iss/index.html
    Best regards
    Alan Butler, ISS Chairman & Editor

• jon_d
    19 years ago

I have a plant labeled S. trifasciata x singularis (now fischeri) that looks identical to 'Leopard Bat'. I think I read that this is the name that someone gave that hybrid, which I suspect was a USDA hybrid. Before S. hallii was described and named it was known as sp. 'Baseball Bat'. It is, in my opinion, the better plant, with short fat bats and flowers that bloom at the soil line. There are some other "bats" out there as well but I don't know about them.

Jon Dixon

• wankel
    Original Author
    19 years ago

>> If you want to find out more about sansevierias, why not join the International Sansevieria Society.

Alan, I have been a member for about a year now and love it. Wish it was a monthly mag, though. I reckon some of us could contribute articles tho : )

• jderosa
    19 years ago

If you have to choose which 'bat' to grow, grow the S. hallii. It is the most impressive of all the bat-type Sansevierias out there. I know that it was referred to as a 'with short fat bats and flowers that bloom at the soil line', but I know that all of mine are at least 2' tall. 'Short' may be relative, but a 2' tall plant with solid leaves that are 2" wide is an impressive sight.

I have a couple of other bat-type plants, but S. hallii is my favorite. The others are very nice, but the leaves are thinner or not as tall.

Joe 'beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but doon't stick S. hallii in your eye - you'll go blind' DeRosa

• jon_d
    19 years ago

Joe, I referred to it as having short fat bats, which is what it does for me. But, I must admit, I underwatered it, and it gets very bright light. Nevertheless, I did get it to flower with growths only about 8" tall, MOL. You probably just grow it better. The flowers do flower at the soil line. Its an amazing sight. Yesterday I was cleaning off the old remains of the flowers. They must make an underground inflorescense with the bottom of the buds right at the soil. Hallii is one cool batty species, I agree.

Jon

• wankel
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I'm all set to find a bat. Now to find a retailer who has big ones...

• earyou
    19 years ago

Can someone tell me the difference between S. Hallii bat and S. Malawi bat? I have both plants and they seem relatively similar in appearance. Someone told me that S. hallii has a blue coloration and S. malawi is more green.

• emilio
    19 years ago

I will try to make everybody happy here. If someone have info about this monster, I am listening
    So long
    Emilio

Here is a link that might be useful: Giant Baseball Bat ??