Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
peeb000

My poor plant is dying (pics)

peeb000
14 years ago

Its a sans. pinquicula. It had been planted in cactus soil for 4 months inside my house where it gets ample sunlight and gets watered about every two weeks and it is around 75F. It didnt grow, but it seemed healthy and green up until last week when it started to rapidly deteriorate. Most people talk about their plant rotting, but i dont really see this as rot, it seems like the plant is drying out or just dying. I considered the possibility of root rot so i unearthed it and the roots seemed to be healthy, strong and orange, although they havent grown a bit since i planted it 4 months earlier. After the picture was taken I repotted it in half cactus, half perlite soil. The second head is now showing signs of following the same path the first one did. I dont know if the first one is done for good or i should cut it off. Whats wrong with my plant? These are hard to come by and i would love to save it.

Comments (8)

• norma_2006
    14 years ago

I'm looking at a plant that is the wrong soil mix. Get some coarse washed construction sand, and put at least 90% into you mix. Mix that you buy for your other plants will not work with cactus and succulents, you add crushed brick, clean gravel 1/4 ", or the construction sand, or large pebbles for a a clean stream, the offset can be started, these plant need very fast drainage, clean soil, no molds, water, food, and this time of the year water once a week if you have hot dry weather. This plant came from Bura in the Northern Province of Kenya, check out the soil there. If you can get sandstone, you may mix that in or granite or quartzite. Perlite will work as well as pumice, which is $4.00 for two lbs. Perlite can be larger pieces. The offset is alive because the mother plant has supplied all or the nurshment. The mother plant is now unable to use the water she is dead. Dead people do not drink water either. I'm am only trying to save your plant. The mother plant may have rhizomes that are still alive if so take them out and replant them, you never know. I will not proof this. 60% pumice or perlite or 30% coarse sand/ annd only 10% of your stuff? Norma

• Denise
    14 years ago

I would definitely remove the small offset and try to salvage it. Set it aside to callous over for about a week, then set it on a small pot of Norma's suggested mix. I wouldn't keep it too wet, just mist the top of the soil maybe once a day. When it starts to develop some roots, then you can give it just a bit more water. I'm in the process of trying to root some Sans leaves and it does take awhile, so be patient.

Denise in Omaha

• peeb000
    Original Author
    14 years ago

it will probably dry out if its set aside by itself for that long

anyway I cut it off and reburied the healthy parts of the roots about an inch down in a new mixture of that suggested stuff. I put the offset on top of it. If there anything i can do to keep my offset from drying out?

• isusandi
    14 years ago

Hi peeb000,
    I was surprised to see your san. pic..
    Sans. pinguicula is one of the 'hard to kill' sans.
    One of my favo. sans. :)
    Hope you can save the tiny pup :).....

Indra in Jakarta

• Denise
    14 years ago

Just FYI, if you set a succulent with an open wound on wet soil, it will likely rot. I've had succulent cuttings survive 6 months without roots and without being potted up. So I would be awfully careful and watch for rot. I took some Sans leaf cuttings a month ago and they sat aside until about 10 days ago when I potted them up.

Denise in Omaha

• peeb000
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I dont think the pup is going to make it, but what are the changes that the roots will come back up and start growing a new plant?

• Oklahoma_Tim
    14 years ago

I just wanted to pop in and say that I have had some luck rooting Sans cuttings in water. Of course, you have to let the cutting heal over for a couple days (a week may be too long, depending on how much moisture is in the cutting), and I'd only recommend leaving the cutting in the water long enough for roots to start to grow--to maybe a quarter- or half-inch. I've currently got an S. t. "Hahnii" leaf rooting in water, and since I've already got a couple of healthy plants I'm thinking of leaving it there to see how long it will live.

I often read that succulent cuttings should be rooted in pure sand. Is that okay for sansevierias, or should you put them directly into the sandy potting mix?

As for your most recent question, peeb000, I'd sat that it depends on how much of the original plant is left. The leaves may be dead, but the rhizome may be able to send up new growth. Hopefully, somebody else can give you a more detailed answer.

• isusandi
    14 years ago

Hi Tim,

It's OK for sans. which have rhizome but in this case (pinguicula) have no rhizome but aerial runner (stolon). So its root caould not send any pups. CMIIW :)

This is my pinguicula (before repotting) :)
    {{gwi:1253458}}

This is my lovely sans., Sansevieria ballyi