Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
woodnative

Wagner's Gold pic

woodnative
11 years ago

As I mentioned in other posts I like the Sans with unstable variegation......each new pup is different. This is S. trifasciata 'Wagner's Gold'. Each new pup is different though it takes a while for the variegation to really show itself.

Comments (10)

• barbmock
    11 years ago

That's a beautiful plant, and a beautiful photo.

I love the surprises in variegation too, like a box of chocolates, as they say.

Barb

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

No doubt, I agree! Stripes going both ways.

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    11 years ago

You know if the nurseries showed your picture of 'Wagner's Gold', I'm sure they could triple there sales. What they show is so-so but yours really shows what it is about. Nice job.

• Michaela
    11 years ago

Oh! Ooooh! Ahhh! Mmmmm! Gee, I love this trifasciata! It and Futura Variegated are 2 Sanses I cannot do with out. You've done well with it, my son. Ha! Note, one day it will throw up a normal type growth; you know what to do with it!

• woodnative
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Michaela-
    Yes......it through up a VIGOROUS all-green growth last fall which had to be removed and sent off to live on a farm with other green Sans......
    Funny. I grow a few streaked Hostas which are similarly unstable. When I divide them I always put the green reversions down by the curb where they usually "dissapear" within a day. My one neighbor has a lot of nice green Hosta...

{{!gwi}}

• Michaela
    11 years ago

...so nice of you to share like that! :-)

11 years ago

Woodnative,
    I just found out about Hosta virus x. Look it up. It is responsible for some new variegations and is unstable and Is spreading around many nurseries. Some times it takes years for it to show up. also on my futura gold flame, I have some leaves on pups start out normal then as the stolen ages, the emerging leaves are more variegated. Lucky I didn't cut and take those off. What harm does it do to leave it on for a year? See what new crop of leaves look like. I know you are more experienced than I am but just a suggestion.

• woodnative
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hey Stush! I appreciate it. With the all-green on Wagner's I left it grow for a bit. You can see the difference as it was EXTREMELY vigorous with the extra chlorophyll.
    I am well familiar with Hosta x. Luckily most of my plants were bought before it became prevalent and I was very careful with those I bought later. I often see it on Hostas in the "big box stores"...especially on 'Gold Standard' where it is very obvious by green along and bleeding from the veins. BTW if in doubt there are test strips for Hosta virus x.

11 years ago

Did you see the price for those test strips? Just as well thro the plant out and get another one than to pay something like $30 a test. Unless they came down in price in the past 6 months. Besides most of my hosta is over 10 years old and the very few recent purchases I have kept them at bay.

• woodnative
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Holy Cow! Nope, I never priced them.......no suspicious plants and I agree, at that price you could replace most varieties........buying from a reputable nursery!

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!