Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
woodnative

S. parva variegate....can I cut root the top?

woodnative
11 years ago

This BEAUTIFUL S. parva yellow variegate was GENEROUSLY sent to me a while back by a VERY GENEROUS GW member who also really knows how to grow Sans. This is also an unstable type of variegation.......the distribution of green and yellow on the new growth is near perfect. However, it is slow to pup, and all the new pups have been just a pale green/yellow (see the pup in the upper right of the photo). I am guessing the base of the plant, where the pups originate, is mostly green/yellow. Would it make sens to cut the top of this parva, and root it? The idea is that the new plant from the top would have a better chance of later throwing out pups that have more variegation. Opinions/input?

Comments (12)

• elichka
    11 years ago

Woodnative

Beautiful parva. Unfortunately I can't suggest you since I'm not experienced w/variegated sans.
    but I'd like to ask you if you decide to cut and root would you do it now or next year? does it make sense to root now? i remember you are in NJ, so we are neighbors, similar conditions.

Inna

• bonsaigai
    11 years ago

Opinion, I guess. It may have a better chance. I think I remember Norma saying that you need 2" of rhizome to insure variegation. I do think that you should wait until next spring as the temperatures now are going down for us up North. I am going to try a few things now, but I'm putting everything on heat mats.

Michael
    Interlaken, NY Z6

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    11 years ago

Woodnative,
    Do you have a warm spot at work. Maybe inside a 10 gallon fish tank over a warm heater vent. Just guessing but bottom heat in a controlled environment may get you a edge up next year.

• woodnative
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I did it. I beheaded it. The top will be kept in a warm room. It has a nice stem to it and good variegation so keep my fingers crossed it roots well and in the future offshoots pups like itself.

11 years ago

Woodnative,
    How much stump did you leave behind? How long of a stolen did you give it? Keep the stump warm also I'm sure it will now produce more pups around it. May also be on the white side. Good luck. Take pictures and keep us posted. You may be able to pot up pieces of stolen in moist perlite in a warm spot.

• woodnative
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I need to get photos. Top appears to be nicely rooted now......very resistant to tugging. I don't expect much more from the main bottom until Spring. The pup on it continues to grow but that pup is almost pure yellow. I will probably chop it off at some point.......I want striped pups!!

• barbmock
    11 years ago

Don't throw that pup away! Barb

11 years ago

Ok Barb, I'll fight you for the pup. Ha Ha. I know, we all think alike.

• elichka
    11 years ago

Woodnative

Do you fertilize the rooted top? i just rooted small pup but I don't know if I should fertilize. the roots are still tiny,maybe 1/2"

Inna

• woodnative
    Original Author
    11 years ago

bmock and stush............those all-yellow pups are hard to grow......very little chlorophyll. If another comes up, I will happily give one to both of you.

Inna-
    What are you rooting it in (e.g. potting soil, perlite). I would not fertilize until there was roots throughout the pot.....there should be enough nutrients in the soil to get it started. As it gets more growth you can begin fertilizing. Most of my plants, particularly my Sans, I don't fertilize at all in fall and winter. The exception being those few plants I have actively growing in a warm room under supplemental lighting.

• elichka
    11 years ago

Woodnative

its S.elliptica in gritty mix(turface,perlite,some bark)Small clay pot. Absolutely no soil.That is why i'm concerned about fertilizing. I have Foliage Pro.

its inside because I'm afraid of night temps and in western window. Should i put it under lights?

Thanks
    Inna

• barbmock
    11 years ago

Bob Smoley has this plant on his website. But, I sent him a note about it. He's out of stock right now. Maybe we can get one in the spring.

Sponsored
Through The Garden, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
#1 Landscape Design Build Firm Serving Virginia/Maryland & DC Area