Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eaksqueak

cool white and green sans on ebay

eaksqueak
10 years ago

Has anyone else perused ebay recently and seen this one? It's labeled "S.Trifasciata Laurentii Variegated" but a google search for that turns up nothing else that looks even remotely like the plant they have pictured. It's solid white with green edges and a green stripe in the middle. I have no idea whether their price is fair... the only plant I ever spent that much on was a palm tree.

I don't know if posting this link will work for long, but here it is...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Sansevieria-S-Trifasciata-Laurentii-Variegated-/370579935084?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0amp;hash=item5648490f6c

It's probably too dark and dreary in my house for a plant with so little cholorphyll. :/

Comments (9)

• longaeva54
    10 years ago

I have one, it is Sansevieria quineensis 'Beauty Queen'.

• Solar_Storm
    10 years ago

Notice:Shipping: $18.00 Economy Shipping from Chaiyapoom, Thailand. But this plant is probably a new variegated form. If you have the spare cash and are willing to take the chance, Go for it. It's a gamble. Probably for experienced and expert growers only.

• eaksqueak
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Longaeva, thanks for the ID. Now I can ogle more pictures of it. :)

Solar, thanks for the advice. I'm neither experienced nor expert. Such pretty leaves on that plant, though.

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    10 years ago

Copy of picture from ebay. Looks simular to Sansevieria trifasciata Forescate which has yellow instead of white. Both are hard to winter over. Came from Thailand and has a new name. Notice name Sansevieria quineensis 'Beauty Queen'. Guineensis is not trifasciata. It is a completely different species and does look alike. A lot of guineensis is confused with trifasciata. Leaves two or three per node, suggesting S. guineensis. Also much harder to winter over in cooler temps. Personally, I would pass over this.

10 years ago

Just showing a picture of my S. 'Forescate' for comparison.

• Solar_Storm
    10 years ago

Eaksqueak, I didn't mean to discourage you from trying and obviously have no idea of how good a grower you are. As for myself, I long ago gave up trying to grow any trifasciata variegates. I kill them all and take full responsibility.

• eaksqueak
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Solar, no worries. I just started collecting houseplants again last year. Before that I had some in Florida, where snake plants cannot be killed, and may even escape the house and go take over the yard. I used to pot them in the cheap bags of top soil, water them next to never, and they multiplied and flowered furiously. So far, up here in PA, it's a slower pace of life for these plants. My concern with the 'Beauty Queen' is how little green it has. Even right up in a window most days around here are overcast. I have trouble keeping my African Violet in bloom. Every plant I get feels like an experiment where I'm testing to see if it can live here.

• Solar_Storm
    10 years ago

After seeing photos of your plants in PA. I doubt any variegate would be a problem for you.

I am intrigued by growers who call their plants guineensis - a problematic epithet having long been banished by reputable growers and experts. It's my belief that the sans growing wild in FL by that name are actually hyacinthoides, but several collectors of African plants also named some of their collected plants guineensis. Lord knows what species these variegates are derived from.

10 years ago

solar_storm,
    Very confusing indeed. Hyacinthoides is now into guineensis and those varigates deriving from same. I am not knowable enough to disscuss the hows and whys of same. Maybe some one will post more complete information about them.