Return to the Sansevieria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Difference between S cylindrica and S canaliculata

Posted by penguu 8 (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 19, 14 at 10:05

I'm looking at photos of both and I can't tell them apart. It seems like both have tall and short cultivars, tall and short inflorescenses. A quick look on theplantlist shows that they're not synonymous with each other. What traits am I missing? How to tell them apart?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Difference between S cylindrica and S canaliculata

Here are the two official botanical descriptions for the species in question. Right off the bat you can tell the two plants apart by the number of leaves per growth, the flower stems also show differences with canaliculata's being 2-3.5" tall where as cylindrica's is 2-3' high.

http://nolinoideae.e-monocot.org/taxonomy/term/119

http://nolinoideae.e-monocot.org/taxonomy/term/120

Mike

o
RE: Difference between S cylindrica and S canaliculata

Penguu, You are right to wonder about the difference between these two sansevierias. However, like many similar looking sansevierias, they are not at all alike when seen up close with your own eyes and felt with your own fingers. I have not looked at the above web pages cited by Mikedahms, but the major differences between these 2 species, especially when not in flower, are in their size and the presence of grooves in the leaves of canaliculata. Canaliculata has solitary leaves that often grow close together on the rhizome. They also have a gentle curve, and clearly have longitudinal grooves; cylindrica leaves are smooth. There is no crossbanding of color (alternating green-gray bands) in their leaves as there is in cylindrica. I have a good picture of canaliculata in flower which I show here.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sansevieria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here