Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stush49

Excited about new growth finally.

Well after showing my collection last month, I was surprised to see so much new growth. And on the ones I thought were goners.

First the July pictures;

Now August's picture;

Now if I don't screw up and loose them this winter!

Comments (17)

• hijole
    11 years ago

Stush, Would it be asking to much if I asked for your SECRET to producing all this new growth? I know, I know I probably asked you already but hey I like the fruit (the results your getting.)

Greg

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Greg,
    I switched from heavy soil to gritty mix of my own. I do use clay dirty water to water them and also my compost tea mix with Miracle Grow. Not too much with the additives. Just use a little. But it was the supper hot wet weather we have been having. Now what to do come winter??
    Any more then you have to marry in the family or I will have to kill you. (just kidding)

• barbmock
    11 years ago

Stush, how long ago did you plant these? Congratulations! They are on their way now. Barb

• elichka
    11 years ago

Stush

Awesome growth. Congrats

Inna

• woodnative
    11 years ago

They are looking GREAT!! I love this time of year too as far as ease of growth. I really don't have great places in winter....not even bright windows. By Spring they are always looking ready for some relief! Sometimes Sans can seem to sit there and do nothing for long periods. However, when things are too their liking they can seem to grow overnight!

• hijole
    11 years ago

Stush, Omg! Check this out talking about growth. Now please don't get upset but this is the growth I've had with the plants you've sent me and their still in the perilite only.

It's growing faster than any other plants I have in expensive soil, you know what that means right ?

Gregs

• Solar_Storm
    11 years ago

After a prolonged absence, I decided to again participate in this forum. Hello old friends. I recognize the "handle" woodnative, but have forgot your name. No matter, I think Siam Silver is a gorgeous plant. Didn't Asiatica sell them before they quit the business.
    Dale

Original Author
    11 years ago

Welcome back Solar Storm. I am new here but an old timer. It gets pretty slow here from time to time.
    Siam Silver has many names and a possible affinity to S. guineensis. Having only two or three leaves per node. Hope I'm wrong about that. I would like it to be in the trifasciata family.
    Greg.
    You know that is an Agave desmetiana variegates. It is a nice plant but too large for me to haul in and out every year. Should do well in your area. Looks good, but get it in garden soil/mix.
    Stush

• hijole
    11 years ago

Stush, OMG! Are you serious? And all this time I thought it was a sanseveria spieces.

Well today before I read this I did repot it in a 1 gal. plastic container with all perilite, but that was before I read your response, But now that you mentioned that it's an Agave, I will put him down in the ground the first chance that I get, maybe Saturday.

I can tell it will be a beautiful looking Agave too stush so I really appreciate it very much buddy, thanks again.

. Solar storm, Well come back stormie this site needs a little more movement and you might be just what we need around here, some more of anything will sure be nice as stush mentioned this site is a sleeping city, so make as much noise as you like and I might add , the more the merrier. :)

Greg

• hijole
    11 years ago

Stush, I just googled that Agave you said it was and Just yesterday I was showing my wife an Agave Desmetiana var. and not knowing the name Or that you had sent me one like it, because all this time as I mentioned I thought it was a sanseveria plant.

I was telling her I wanted one like that as we were walking on the beach we saw one and I said to her, Thats the type I want to get my hands on next not knowing I have one already and thanks to you.

Well today I find out I have one in a 2 inch container no wonder you kept telling me to take it out and put it in the ground Or a larger container.

It had already developed roots gallore and was trying to Bust out of that little container you sent it in and i thought this whole time it was my fastest growing sanseveria plant LOL...

Stush , I dont know if you can tell but I am so excited right now so all I can say is thank you again.

Greg

Original Author
    11 years ago

Greg,
    Very happy to oblige. BTY, how's the black sans doing I sent you? It is a futura type and should produce wide leaves.
    Stush

• hijole
    11 years ago

Stush

Awww... The black beauty, I thought that one was an Agave too... Lol... just kidding.

That one is actually doing good also but it has'nt grown as fast as the agave spieces. I have her sitting in bright light and very HOT temps right now unfortunitly.

BOY can you beleive how hot it's been lately, I mean things are really growing right now but this heat is beating me down!

Greg

• norma_2006
    11 years ago

I am excited to find out that I have S. powellii it has a branched lower stem this is the firstg time it has flowered for me. I grew it from a leaf, it's amazing what a little fertilizedr will do. I thought it was S.arborescens for the past 15 years but still not sure I am still learning. Good to see that all of you are still here.

Original Author
    11 years ago

Norma, only smart people still learn. Very good of you. Glad you still look in here.

Greg, We have been haveing mild weather and lots of rain here. I might have to start to bring in some of my sans with lows in the 50's. Good sleeping weather.

Solar Storm, Repeat after me, I am not addicted. I can quit at any time. I do not need more plants, they need me. Ha Ha. That includes all of us here.

• hijole
    11 years ago

Stush, that is so funny, my wife and I were busting up when we read your response to Solar Storm; Repeat after me, I'm not addicted. Lol... I think everyone here can relate. I got a good laugh out of that.

Are you saying its been headed to lows in the 50's. ?

Greg

Original Author
    11 years ago

Greg,
    Yes, out temps are finally getting back to normal (what ever that is). I almost needed a blanket to cover myself last night. Feels so good. Not so good for my sans. I think we are getting too much rain while most of the country needs it.

• hijole
    11 years ago

Stush,, man dude I'm ready for some cool weather myself so in the mean time it's been "lets head to the beach!" just to stay comfortable.

Good thing for me my wife enjoys it as much as me so we go out there at least twice a week and I might add thats in the winter months also, We just love it.

Well blankets seem like the farthest thing from things that I need right now so mine are all folded away some place right now, wish I was up there to help you move your garden around to where you put it for winter.

Greg