Return to the Sansevieria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Potting mix

Posted by georgiapeach365 8 (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 19, 11 at 14:05

Hi everyone,

I'm sure that you've had this question asked many times but I couldn't find it in the old posts. I'm new to sansevierias and really don't know what type of potting mix to put them in. I've heard peat moss, etc. Please...would someone give me some suggestions? Thanks a bunch!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Potting mix

Hi GP,

Sans. can use almost any mix, but pls. NO, NO, NO peat, it can often harden off & become impossible to re-wet, essentially killing the plant from thirst even though one keeps watering.

Try browsing at Cactus & Succulent Forum (nearby) where we speak about mixes; the aim is that it be fast draining (peat is not fast draining, rather the opposite, it's water retentive until it dries out & hardens like rock).

One could be OK w/ Cactus & Succulent mix w/ maybe 40% more perlite or pumice.

o

Thank you pirate girl! Sure glad I didn't go buy a bag of peat!!!

o

Personally, I use peat mixed with perlite exclusively. It comes in bales with the name ProMix-HP. I think I grow nice plants (I live in Tennessee).

o

Sans are very forgiving - they'll grow in almost anything (shredded tires, anyone) as long as their feet don't stay wet and they get some sort of soil nutrients. As you can infer, ask 100 people, you'll get as many soil mixes, but I'd hazard to guess even a prepackaged cactus and succulent mix, when mixed with 40-50% perlite (pumice preferred but not always available). You can also look for Al's Gritty Mix - it has many adherents to its faith of the nitty gritty of soil.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sansevieria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here