Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
solar_storm

Capitate Raceme?

Solar_Storm
11 years ago

Just thought I'd post an old infloressence. The plant was named S sp. from Dyke and Shamva. The owner (Carol Causey) bought it from Hermine Stover about 1980. And Hermine grew it from seed purchased from a African source who had offered it in ALOE. After it flowered, I bought the plant in 2004, split it and shared rooted cuttings with several people. After Juan published "The Splendid Sansevieria", I thought it fit the description of S scimtariformis. Yhe plant is hiddlen, but those flower tubes were about 10" long. !!!

Comments (9)

• bonsaigai
    11 years ago

That IS a splendid Sansevieria, it is. That one is more typical of a capitate inflorescence, in my opinion. Very beautiful.

• Michaela
    11 years ago

10" flower tubes?! Holy smoke! No wonder they look a little droopy.

• Solar_Storm
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I believe these flowers are pollinated by moths with exceptionally long "tongues" that roll up inside their mouths.

The original plant had about 20 leaves, but I forget how many per rosette. Here's a photo of the back of a leaf. I also believe the grooves are diagnostic for S scimitariformis See Chahinian's description in Splendid..

• hermine
    11 years ago

My BABY! Sp from Dyke and Shamva was grown from seed sent to me by an Aloe and succulent society in what was then called Rhodesia. and that is some inflorescence. It is very nice to see these plants several decades down from the originals, makes a person feel real GOOD. If I can figure out how to do it, I will post a pic of a capitate inflorescence of S. hallii but I will first have to figure out HOW. this plant took decades to grow from a wee sprout to a flowering plant. I think I just figured out how to do that, but will save it for a picture of S. hallii.

• hermine
    11 years ago

This is a view of S. hallii just as the buds were becoming really visible.

• Solar_Storm
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes Hermine, it is your baby. After I split the plant in 2004 it is taking forever to grow new rosettes (clumps) and the original leaves are just hanging on, refusing to grow or die. I checked the roots a couple of months ago and new sprouts are now a few inches long. It seems this is another slow growing species (at least in my care). I think they need more heat and humidity.

• hermine
    11 years ago

I grew this rather fast for a Sanseviera, in a raised bed, very rich loamy soil, in a really TROPICAL greenhouse, well watered and high humidity. I found the "granny smith apple green" green colour of the leaves to be very pleasing, and the light waxy coating, I thought the foliage alone and the shape of the plant made it VERY ATTRACTIVE.

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    11 years ago

Guys, I feel honored to be posting here. Talk about slow, I was giving a Sansevieria (Schweinfurhia) erythraeae by a very nice person here (I think they don't want their name used) leaf about 16 inches long. Well after about 7 months I had to peek into the tiny 2 inch pot I planted it in and it had just two tiny roots no bigger than a grain of rice. Well at least it is starting to grow. How much longer before I see a pup sprouting? Maybe another year? But I still enjoy the hard round leaf. Looking forward to having a pot full some day.
    Stush

• hermine
    11 years ago

Stush, bottom heat and really tropical conditions encourage the production of pups from leaf cuts. and those tiny roots are encouraging but DO NOT BE DIGGING THEM UP AGAIN as every time you do this, you do some amount of root damage. the fact that there are roots means you have callus tissue, a primordial form of the plant, from which roots and pups WILL GROW EVENTUALLY. I find that even the very hard grown Sansevierias from very arid homelands, propagate very well when treated as tender tropicals, once the cut edges of leaf cuttings have been allowed to dry thoroughly, even to the point where the leaf cutting beings to shrivel. and then you stick them in a porous humus mix, humus and say, pumice and keep them warm and bright and moist. This has worked for me.