Return to the Sansevieria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
winter temps?

Posted by pepbob1 zone5, nh (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 22, 08 at 14:58

Would 50 degree night time temps be ok for sans during the winter, possibly hitting 55-60 during the day?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: winter temps?

I would say that would be living dangerously. You must keep water out of the plants that have crowns like the Hahnii's. Do not expect the kinds of growth you would normally get with hotter temps, and less pupping. Lean towards keeping them on the dry side. Give them all the light you can.

o

Thanks for the responce re; temps, i was afraid that was what somebody would say, LOL! I am thinking logistically of where iam going to be putting my plants after i bring them in from their summer outside. I do have one room that i could use for plants during the winter but i guess it would be too cold, i have cactus also, maybe thats where they will go! Thanks, again.

o

I once lived near Phoenix and very brief periods well below 50 in the early morning caused little or no damage. Further north where outside temperatures were near freezing I once had a greenhouse with an electric heater and I could not afford to go above 50 all day and all night. Sansevieria did not thrive and often died in that greenhouse.

o

I live in the Mid-Atlantic and have had a terrible experience exposing my Sans to temps below 60, inside. I lost several Hahnii year before last because they were in a room with too cool temps. Now I keep all Sans under lights on the top shelf!!!!

I wouldn't risk it. They don't like cold or wet.

o

Thanks again for the further input, now i definitely know i will not be following through with my cool room plans!

o

How often do you feel its good to water a hahnii type during the winter in the northeat? My home has radiators for heat that I keep set at 70 something in the winter.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sansevieria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here