Return to the Sansevieria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tied up cylindrica

Posted by josmik Croatia 7b (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 12, 13 at 15:05

Maybe 4 years ago I found a peculiar looking plant decently priced about � 20 .. it was an elegant braid made of 7 leaf-cuttings.. I knew it was a violated form of S. cylindrica.. I bought it because it was the only chance to introduce cylindrica into my small collection.. two years after that the pot was filled with some 15 new plantlets and while repotting I was awed that the braid's modest root system produced such an amount of new plantlets... I divided them and potted the braid alone again.. it exploded once again with plenty of spear shaped leaves perking out of the pot.. and that was the moment when I decided to tie it up.. now it's high time to unleash it but I'm still trying to find best solution.. :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tied up cylindrica

I used tomato cages on my tall sans. But I think it would be best to divide it up and replant. Just an idea. Your doing something right. All your plants are good looking.

o

I wonder how it will look when you turn it loose. I just found a small, starter cylindrica this spring. Now I wonder If mine will go crazy like yours. Good growing!

o

I like it just the way it is. But I don't know all that much yet.
I did find a pot full of cylindrical early this year. Ended up being three
plants that I separated. Now each pot has offsets sprouting up
everywhere. One even has a leaf that broke off that I stuck in the dirt
that now has a great root system. They're outside in the shade of a picnic bench for most of the day but they get a few hours of morning sun before it reaches a 100 or so degrees.
Karen

o

This is a pot of sansevieria that really makes a statement! I think it makes a very unusual and attractive houseplant form. It is a conversation piece! I would be afraid that if you 'unleash' it that it will flop and just be a mess. They are beginning to flop now as the individual leaves begin to elongate. I think I would consider continuing the braided form, and buy a bigger and HEAVY pot for it. Just continue to have fun with it.

o

Just curious but do you show your plants? There are many shows where I live, and most have a few sanseveria on display, but there seems to be no criteria for judging them. If there are shows in Croatia do you think the judges would like a crowded pot?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sansevieria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here