Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rainforestguy

New Sansevierias

RainforestGuy
12 years ago

There has been a lot of resurgence among sansevieria collectors that many people are traveling back to Ed Eby's collection to find what other one of a kind odd balls he had.

Unfortunately while Ed researched for information of any kind, a collection number, a locality name or even a description of the plant-name, very little information was gathered. Ed was a little ahead of the game and knew that many of these sansevierias would make their way into collections and instead of having them in the "lost" areas of most botanic gardens and collectors, they'd be front and center.

Like a bowtie

Note the dark red edge of this one

A very thick-leafed rosette

A red edged distichous form

Many types of "robusta" types

Comments (11)

• woodnative
    12 years ago

Thanks for sharing the photos! Where are these particular plants growing?? I like that first one a lot, and that second one looks like S. kirkii 'Silver Blue'.

• elichka
    12 years ago

Gorgeous plants,thanks for sharing. I'd like to try to start new plants from variegated leaves as you advised. I was always afraid since its written everywhere that variegated should start only from offsets rather than leaves,that it will loose variegation.

• RainforestGuy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It isn't uncommon to find variegated plants among green species or hybrids. It's a process of massed multiplication that produces these kinds of growths.
    I am always amazed when I see offerings from Ebay selling high priced things that can be obtained through leaf and root hacking. I imagine you'd get a lot of good results throwing your plant into a chipper and then rooting all the cut up pieces and watching what comes out. The arrival of so many variegated sansevierias are from multiple propagation techniques. But it's one in a _____ and this can be done over and over again from the new shoots that emerge and repeated, then some day down the line, you'll see some.

But sporting naturally does occur on already established plants. But this can take a while.

A sport of Twisted Sister from Bangkok

• elichka
    12 years ago

the info you provided is invaluable,looking forward for more. you refreshed this forum,people hardly post anything here. I always enjoy seeing your pictures. Thanks

• tf.-drone
    12 years ago

Hi,

your photos are great. You are blessed with the south east asian sun and climate.

However, the plants would increase their value incredibly if you had names. VALID names. Until then, all those Sansevieria are like the numerous Phalaenopsis hybrids - very nice, but only decoration. I find this very lamentable.

Helli

• pirate_girl
    12 years ago

Also, he has been asked several times WHERE THESE PLANTS ARE GROWING (not where they're from) & declines to answer. I wonder if they're even his, as I suspect he wishes us to believe.

• RainforestGuy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Unfortunately the names people assign plants tend to be far fetched and this causes great confusion. Ever purchased the same exact plant with five different names? Don't you jus hate that? I propose a system of images and growth habits to describe a plant, naming it with all the synonyms of that name and make this list public for all to see.
    Before a plant is even named, I usually like to propagate a specific clone many times over to see if it holds true before providing it with a flashy name. I have this one Sansevieria variegated sport that changes so much from each pup, you just cannot give it a proper name. I dare not even show an image of it because it is just a form of that pup at that moment in time-space.

• summersunlight
    12 years ago

I enjoy seeing the photos of these sans. If RainforestGuy doesn't want to talk about where he is or where the photos are from for whatever reason, so be it. It seems harmless to me.

• tf.-drone
    12 years ago

RFG,

it is fine if you wait until you can identify every plant 100%. But most other people don't, and THAT is the problem.

If you give pups away, they are completely nameless. On the other hand, you DO name your plant. Your first photo shows a Sansevieria Bowtie, which is botanically and hortculturally absurd and contraproductive. You need to publish any name follwing the einternationally accepted rules.

If you are only a hobby grower, never mind.

Helli

• RainforestGuy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Helli,
    OBVIOUSLY you don' know what is required to name a plant. I am not the discoverer of this plant, the person who collected and indexed it died. So this plant has no name. Where does it state that every plant must have a name. There are countless thousands of plants that have no name. Many orchids, many ferns, many hoyas, many bromeliads, many many plants. I guess we should use ridiculous names for Helli's sake.

Let's see, we already have "bow tie" that's descriptive. Hmmm. care to just tack on any name and if we run into a problem, then we know who to blame.
    So much confusion already exists with sansevierias, let's create more of a mess by just giving a plant any old name. Now that's brilliant!

• greenzzz
    12 years ago

second one is a WOW..thanks for sharing the photos,RainforestGuy

Sponsored
Virginia Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars151 Reviews
Virginia's Award Winning One Stop Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Resource