Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stush49

Sansevieria hyacinthoides equals guineensis

What a confusing subject. I guess we need a DNA test to be sure but so many trifasciata cultavars has their equal in guineensis.
J.Chahinin describs 'Hyacinthoides' as a distinct species with some taxonomic controversy. Pg. 72 'The Splendid Sansevieria'.
Hyacinthoides Synonyms: Cordyline guineensis (L.) Britt., Cordyline guineensis (L.) Britton, Sansevieria guineensis (L.) Willd., Sansevieria metallica Horton ex Gerome & Labroy, Sansevieria thyrsiflora Thunb.
Sansevieria guineensis (Linnaeus) Willdenow, Sp. Pl. 2: 159. 1799
Sansevieria thyrsiflora Thunberg, Prodr. Pl. Cap. 65. 1794, nom. Illegit
Sansevieria metallica G�r�me & Labroy, Bull. Mus. Hist. Nat. (Paris) 9: 170, 173, f. 2. 1903.
Sources;
http://florida.plantatlas.usf.edu/Plant.aspx?id=148
http://www.efloras.org/florataxon.aspx?flora_id=1&taxon_id=242101879
So when we speak of hyacinthoides = guineensis = metallica, but definitely not trifasciata.

Comments (4)

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Just though of a way to check whether trifasciata or guineensis. Root a leaf cutting to see what develops from it. Should be able to tell it from there. Most cuttings loose the variegation and reverts back to original species.
    Does anyone have anything to add to this?

• Solar_Storm
    10 years ago

In my imagination, I have thought that "guineensis" was brought to the New World from Africa maybe in the later 1700s or 1800s as a source of hemp and became naturalized. At one time I thought it might be a form of metallica, but a recent report by a S Fl Botanist said the wild sans growing in south FL was hyacinthoides, so I changed my mind. Such a plant being grown as a crop for a few hundred years could easily lose some of it's original traits. Like Stush says, we will probably have to await further genomic studies.

• albert_135   39.17°N 119.76°W 4695ft.
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I wondered what became of S. guieneesis. On these forums persons are occasionally impressed by size. I wanted to share that in 1978 or so I saw what I believe to have been a S. guieneesis, at that time, that was noticeably taller than I was. It may have been seven foot tall.

BTW, ETA. and all that. The best site I have found is: Search results — The Plant List - 160 plant name records match your search criteria Sansevieria.

Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6 thanked albert_135   39.17°N 119.76°W 4695ft.
  • Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Old thread. A seven foot tall leaf. That would be amazing. Never heard of any S. hyacinthoids getting to that size. Guineensis is an old name not much used any more. Metallica is in it's own class.

Thanks for the great reference database you supplied.