Return to the Sansevieria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sansevieria hyacinthoides equals guineensis

Posted by Stush2049 Pitts., Pa. 6 (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 25, 13 at 15:52

What a confusing subject. I guess we need a DNA test to be sure but so many trifasciata cultavars has their equal in guineensis.
J.Chahinin describs 'Hyacinthoides' as a distinct species with some taxonomic controversy. Pg. 72 'The Splendid Sansevieria'.
Hyacinthoides Synonyms: Cordyline guineensis (L.) Britt., Cordyline guineensis (L.) Britton, Sansevieria guineensis (L.) Willd., Sansevieria metallica Horton ex Gerome & Labroy, Sansevieria thyrsiflora Thunb.
Sansevieria guineensis (Linnaeus) Willdenow, Sp. Pl. 2: 159. 1799
Sansevieria thyrsiflora Thunberg, Prodr. Pl. Cap. 65. 1794, nom. Illegit
Sansevieria metallica G�r�me & Labroy, Bull. Mus. Hist. Nat. (Paris) 9: 170, 173, f. 2. 1903.
Sources;
http://florida.plantatlas.usf.edu/Plant.aspx?id=148
http://www.efloras.org/florataxon.aspx?flora_id=1&taxon_id=242101879
So when we speak of hyacinthoides = guineensis = metallica, but definitely not trifasciata.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sansevieria hyacinthoides equals guineensis

Just though of a way to check whether trifasciata or guineensis. Root a leaf cutting to see what develops from it. Should be able to tell it from there. Most cuttings loose the variegation and reverts back to original species.
Does anyone have anything to add to this?

o
RE: Sansevieria hyacinthoides equals guineensis

In my imagination, I have thought that "guineensis" was brought to the New World from Africa maybe in the later 1700s or 1800s as a source of hemp and became naturalized. At one time I thought it might be a form of metallica, but a recent report by a S Fl Botanist said the wild sans growing in south FL was hyacinthoides, so I changed my mind. Such a plant being grown as a crop for a few hundred years could easily lose some of it's original traits. Like Stush says, we will probably have to await further genomic studies.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sansevieria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here