Return to the Sansevieria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
sans order here!

Posted by tootswisc z4/5Wi (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 23, 08 at 16:41

I ordered three wonderful sans from Grisby's
Photobucket
I potted them up in cactus mix with 20%perlite and 20%orchid mix.
Photobucket

I now have a baseball bat, bartell's sensation and mason's congo. I do have a couple of questions. The white parts on the shoots were underground, correct? Should I replant them deeply-so the light part in the shoots are buried. The mason's congo almost looked like it had a callux(sp?) Is it a rhizome. Should I cover this with dirt. Thanks. I am so happy with my new plants! Diane

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: sans order here!

Grigsby's is an excellent place to buy sansevieria, and they look great!. You can probably see where the soil line WAS when the plants were at Grigsbys, so try and plant them to the same depth. All these plants have underground rhizomes from which new leaves, or growths, appear. It looks like your Masoniana has 3 leaves now! Masoniana is normally a large leafed and large rhizome plant, so you might consider putting it in a larger pot at some time it you want to see it grow to its full potential. Your Bantel's Sensation is a trifasciata, and certainly a beautiful specimen. Grigsby's did you good!

Not sure if "callux" means 'callus'. A callus is just a place where a rhizome has been severed and the cut has dried up (a good thing). Yes, it needs to be buried.

o
RE: sans order here!

I think I meant caudex-a fat plant thing.I am growing sansevierias as a house plant in Wisconsin. I have always thought that I should keep them pot bond somewhat yet when I see pictures of wonderful specimens in large pots I wonder if I should change my practice a bit.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sansevieria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here