Return to the Sansevieria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Trifasciata Futura pups "on high"

Posted by michaela z6%2B TN (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 13, 12 at 17:18

The phenomenon shown in this picture has happened to me several times with only the Futura class of trifascitas. Rhizomes have started well above the soil line and new pups have turned upward and started growing just as if they had eminated from underground rhizomes. I stripped away some leaves to show what I'm talking about.

Just wondering if this has happened to anyone else. Since the new plants have no roots of their own they are living totally off of mommy (like some human families these days). Why does this happen - the plants I mean? Is this somehow promoted by lush growing conditions? Maybe a genetic flaw in this Futura plant? Maybe I started the mother plant to shallow? It is the Futura form of 'S. compacta.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Trifasciata Futura pups "on high"

Michael,
Yes I did see this but not to the degree your showing. My very old trifasciatas that was pot bound for many years and the plants themselves were like 30 some years old. They started sprouting thru the center like a new pup but continued upward. With the two side rhizones, that is really wild.
BTW your plant looks very good. My best guess is what are you feeding them?

o

That's cool. It looks like it's got some aerial roots where it breaks free of the mam?

o

Michael,

Is this type of growth anything like "stacking"? I was just reading about that, and it made me think this might be something similar. Barbara

o

Barbara, I don't think this is what has been called 'stacking'. Stacking takes place on one central stem where the plant just keeps sending leaves upward. As far as I'm aware, it is only a Hahnii thing. I can copy and send a picture of a stacking Hahnii from a book if anyone desires to see stacking.

Stush, yes, I feed my plants. I use Osmocote 14-14-14 twice a year. Also, I have seen the situation you described above. If the potted plant gets too crowded, in its zeal for new life it will grow new pups attached to the stem near the soil line. A sign that repotting is definitely needed!

o

I would like to see those photos. Somewhere back in the archives there was a post about a Moonshine plant that was stacking.

It will be interesting to see what your plant decides to do next. Maybe it will grow taller than usual.

o

I meant to say "mama" above instead of mam.

This is the part I was asking about. Don't know why the part I cropped got so enlarged on here though. Is that roots coming from there? Just below the dead leaves?

o

yep, sure looks like it.

o

Bmock,
Here is a picture of a Sansevieria that has stacked growth. It is from Juan Chahinian's book, "The Sansevieria trifasciata Varieties", 1986.

o

Mike, That is a beautiful photo. I wonder if your plant will continue growing leaves in the center. I can see the pups on the stacker are growing from underground while yours are in mid-air. Maybe it's a mutation?

Is the Chahinian book hard to find these days?

o

Chahinian's book is out of print and is sold thru Amazon.com for a lot of money. Too pricy for me.

o

The trifasciata book is very expensive. I found the Splendid Sans book for $38 plus shipping at Stoke's Tropicals. The first is crazy expensive.

o

Micheala,

Just curious, what's happening with these airborne pups? Did you cut them and plant in the soil or are they still hanging in mid air? Barb

o

I potted them up and mulched their mother :-)

o

When you get a minute, would love to see new pics!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sansevieria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here