Return to the Sansevieria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tall & Thin

Posted by Nyanko UK (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 30, 05 at 17:36

I have a couple of fairly common sans. (although I don't know the specific names)

I've had them both a while and recently they've both been getting rather spindly and the leaves are very thin. Because they are growing quite quick it means that the leaves bend under their own weight.

One of the plants started losing leaves (but I think I over watered !!) Is there any thing I'm doing that's causing them to grow this way ???

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tall & Thin

It sounds like you already know the likely problem. Stop watering and maybe replace soil, and also relocate in a location with much more light. However, direct sun now, if your plants are indoors, might burn them, so be careful about direct sun.

o

These indestructables like heat and sun. Sun and heat. And did I mention sun? Heat will keep them growing but spindly. They love being outside during the summer months soaking up the sun but need about a week to adjust from indoors to shady outdoors to full sun. A cacti "like" fertilizer (low nitrogen) will keep the leaves shorter and wider and will encourage blooming. Greenish white flowers that smell like heaven and attract ants. I mix the fertilizer with the soil, when dividing or repotting, with sand and perlite.

o

They will also flower after a dry spell of 3 months, or in season to their species. I have some starting up now. The perfume is lovely, it will perfume the whole house. I don't get any ants however. CatiJoe, good advise for the UK , In the UK I would think clay pots would be the best, and not plastic, I seldom saw plastic pots in the UK. Norma

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sansevieria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here