Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plantomaniac08

S. trifasciata 'Laurentii' or S. trifasciata 'Futura'?

plantomaniac08
11 years ago

I'm not sure how to best word my question so I'll just spit it out. How tall does S. trifasciata 'Futura' get (is there a specific height maximum)? I have what I believe is a S. trifasciata 'Futura' and recently purchased a S. trifasciata 'Laurentii' and I'm now confused if my S. trifasciata 'Futura' is possibly a "smaller" version of a 'Laurentii' in the respect that it just hasn't reached it's maximum height (produced a pup that grows as tall as 'Laurentii'). I currently have three in the pot ('Futura') and the largest plant is a little over a foot tall.

The S. trifasciata 'Laurentii' I purchased has a couple small plants in the pot that are less than a foot tall (they are connected by rhizomes to 'pups' that are two feet in length). Hopefully I'm not being too wordy and you can understand why I'm asking. To see such small plants in the S. trifasciata 'Laurentii' pot with such large pups makes me wonder if my 'Futura' is indeed a 'Futura' as all three ('Futura' plants) are larger than the smallest plants in my 'Laurentii' pot. Phew, sorry if this was confusing to read.

Planto

Comments (11)

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    11 years ago

Planto,
    My Laurentii is over 4 feet tall. The widest part of their leaves is about 3 inches. Most are 2 inches. My futura's are about 18 inches tall now and has leaves almost 4 inches wide. Most futura's get about 12 to 15 inches tall. None of my plants read the book and they do what they like. Like my dwarf trees, they are now over 35 ft. tall. Getting the chainsaw ready.
    Stush

• plantomaniac08
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Stush,
    I learned early in growing plants that most don't "read the book." Haha. So, how can/did you tell your 'Futura' apart from your 'Laurentti" (I'm assuming you've had both for awhile)?

Planto

• Michaela
    11 years ago

I'm hoping if you saw a Futura plant next to a full size trifasciata in a picture, you will get a better idea of size relationships.

In 'captivity' trifasciatas like t. Laurentii get to ABOUT 30-40 inches tall. I have seen plain, normal trifasciatas reach a full 6 feet in a good home environment. There are usually 2-4 leaves in one growth. The smaller leaves you see in your pot are just young leaves, not Futuras. Futuras beget Futuras, and normal trifasciatas beget normal trifs (rare mutations aside).

Futuras represent a medium size class of trifasciata. They range from ABOUT 10-14 inches tall and the leaves are noticeably wider than their normal-size counterparts. They are somewhat vase shaped, and multiple leaves grasp a central stem.

Hopefully somewhere in here I have shed some light on your question.

• plantomaniac08
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Stush & michaela,
    Thanks so much for both your replies. They cleared up most of my confusion. My last bit of confusion will hopefully be answered soon. I can't really look at both of my snake plants and apply your information clearly so I would like to know if you can you tell me if the snake plant on the right is a 'Futura' or if I have a second 'Laurentii'? The only real descriptions I can provide for each is that the most leaves present on both sets of snake plants is four (not sure if that helps at all).

Planto

11 years ago

Best guess, I think they are young Laurentii.

• plantomaniac08
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Stush,
    Thanks so much, I value your opinion. After purchasing the most recent 'Laurentii' and noticing the differing sizes of plants present, I couldn't help but question if the one in the orange pot (the older one) was also a 'Laurentii' Looks like my Mother will be receiving another one of my plants. ;)

Planto

• Michaela
    11 years ago

I agree with Stush. All your plants are Laurentii. And they are looking good!
    I am attaching a picture of the Futura form of Laurentii. Notice the multiple leaves clasping the stem and the width of the leaves which are much wider than the normal (tall) Laurentii.

• plantomaniac08
    Original Author
    11 years ago

michaela,
    Thank you so much for the input and the additional confirmation (I like your photo too!).

Planto

11 years ago

Planto,
    Are you looking for a futura? Email me.

• plantomaniac08
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Stush,
    I sent you an e-mail!

Planto