Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hookeelao

help me ID this sans. please

hookilau
11 years ago

I bought this little guy at Home Depot a couple of weeks ago. I liked his neat little habit & ended up potting up the pups separately.

The pot simply said 'Sansevieria'. It had a short neat habit & I'm hoping it is a bird's nest type. Can anyone confirm or deny? I pulled off the lower leaves when I repotted (in Al's gritty mix) so it appears less bird's nest-y now :)

All of them seem to be doing well & I've noticed new growth in the center. I got 5 plants from this one pot.

Antoinette

Comments (9)

• plantomaniac08
    11 years ago

That's Sansevieria trifasciata 'Hahnii Jade' I have one myself; seems like a fast grower for me.

Planto

• hookilau
    Original Author
    11 years ago

YAY! that's what I was hoping for. I love it's habit. The photo above is one of the pups from the pot, not that I got a bunch of pups from the pot pictured above :)

It does appear to be a fast grower. I'm thrilled with it XD

Antoinette

• plantomaniac08
    11 years ago

Antoinette,
    I'm glad it's what you were hoping for. :) I think the bird nest varieties can be a little more sensitive so be a little more careful in the winter with watering as I think they are easier to rot.

Planto

• hookilau
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the tip :) I'm glad I put him & his buddies in the gritty mix!! I've been using the skewer method to keep from over doing the water.

I can get away with watering once a week currently. When winter rolls around, will the skewer method still be reliable?

Here's an update on this particular pup. If it appears his leaves have gotten wider, they have! He's more upright too, rather than rosette like. I wonder if that's because I pulled off his ratty lower leaves...ya think?

Antoinette

Antoinette

• plantomaniac08
    11 years ago

Antoinette,
    I'm not exactly sure how much/how little to water Sans in the winter (this will be my first winter with mine), but I think they can go at least month without being watered (Hopefully someone more experienced will chime in on this) As most plants are dormant or more slower growing period (due to less sun outdoors among other things) in the winter, they don't need as much water.

I believe your skewer method is a good idea for the spring/summer (you can get away with watering more frequently during these times of the year). I use a toothpick instead of a skewer and it works for me with watering my Sans (in efforts to not overwater). I figure it's better to underwater than overwater, but they will be happiest if in between the two (so when in doubt, don't water, essentially). How I use my toothpick method is kind of like cooking brownies, if soil comes out, it's still most, if not, I need to give it a drink.

As to the uprightness of your Sans, I'm not sure to be honest. I have a pup like yours (same hahnii, much younger though) that only has three leaves, it's very upright at the moment but I believe in time it will "rosette." That being said, I believe yours will over time again, I think the shape turns more "rosette" with more leaves. Hope I've helped. :)

Planto

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    11 years ago

Antoinette,
    Young plants differ from mature ones. You may have a futura type and is still in a juvenile stage. When you remove pups from their mother plant, you put them in a juvenile stage all over again. Possible it is a 'Jade Hahnii. Why separate them in the first place. I like the look of a family of sans in one pot. But that's just me.
    I like the wide leaves on your plant. Looks like a keeper.
    Stush

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

Hey Stush,

"When you remove pups from their mother plant, you put them in a juvenile stage all over again."

Gotta say I still don't really understand what this means as you said above. I get the words, not the concept, not sure if I believe it either. Not sure why or if it matters.

Not meaning to be difficult, just wondering.

Oh Norma,

Hi there, if you're around reading here, could you pls. weigh in on the above.

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    11 years ago

Karen,
    What I mean to say is that there is not enough energy or stuff to get the new pup growing. If it is well established then the cut would be minimal. Every pup that is growing from the mother plant can get bigger then the original 'mother' it came from unless of course it was already an established plant. Most plants purchased at a store is just beginning and cutting off pups put that pup back at a beginning stage all over again.

• norma_2006
    11 years ago

Karen that is what I was taught, but I don't know how to explain, once it flowers it will not flower on that growth again, but the new offset will mature and offset, then they will not flower. So keep the plant and restart it. Behaps that what it means. Some one jump in here and explain it better please. Hi Karen, hugs to all. Norma