Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eaksqueak

Hello, here are my snake plants...

eaksqueak
10 years ago

I started buying houseplants about a year ago. I'm not sure why, but a switch went off and suddenly I just had to have plants... lots and lots of plants. And the more plants I have, the more I appreciate the Sansevierias. After most of the life on Earth has died out these things will still be around.

I live in the Lehigh Valley, PA area. Recently there has been a shortage of snake plants available in the local stores. This is why:

It sounded like some people here were happy with their orders from Arid Lands, so I decided to give them a try, because I obviously don't have enough Sansevierias yet. I'll post a photo of what they send me when it arrives.

Comments (20)

• Enterotoxigenic00
    10 years ago

What a switch you have! Mine hasn't turned off yet. I got a taste for sans when my mother passed away 2 years ago. I took her old dried out (what I thought was dead and wanted the pot) sans. I took a chance and divided up
    the plants and watered. Four pots full grew!
    Thanks for sharing your great collection. I'm sure it will grow quickly.
    Karen

• Solar_Storm
    10 years ago

I hadn't checked out Arid Lands sans offerings for a long time, and was shocked and amazed by the variety.

• barbmock
    10 years ago

Wow! you are really hooked! Nice plants! We completely understand your addiction. Have fun and show us those Arid Lands plants too.

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    10 years ago

Nice collection. Watch out for winter.

• eaksqueak
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Entero, that's very cool the way your mom's plant regrew. My mom used to keep snake plants as well, and when I decided I wanted houseplants she told me those were the best kind. Of course she was right. :)

Stush, after being chewed on by those horrible asian tiger mosquitoes I'm almost looking forward to winter. I lost a dracena to the cold last winter, but that was it. Are some sans more sensitive to cold than others? I didn't have a problem with the ones I kept around 50 degrees. (old house, no central air) I didn't water them is all. And of course they didn't grow any.

10 years ago

Who am I to argue with success like yours. 50 degrees is way too cold for some of those sans. Moonshine, Bantel's Sensation as far as I know. Futura is quite tough. But your secret is keeping them dry. Very good on your part.
    Did you get them in local big box stores? or Plant nurseries? You started out with some really nice plants.
    Very great collection started there.

• Enterotoxigenic00
    10 years ago

Stush, did you notice the reverse Whitney?
    Geee, some people have all the luck!!
    I'm still looking for one.
    Very pretty.
    Karen

• eaksqueak
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm guessing the reverse Whitney is in the second photo. I've wondered what those were. They're from a grocery store called Giant. I wanted to buy them the first time I saw them, but I walked there and didn't want to damage them trying to carry them home. I guess I'm the only sans addict in the area because they were still there later. I think they might still have one. Can you reproduce these from leaf cuttings? I'm guessing not.

Anyway, you name it, I've probably bought a plant there. Big box, groceries, nurseries... I'm sure the plants all come from Florida, though. I don't think they have any Sansevieria nurseries in PA. (I wish)

I'll be sure to move the Moonshine and Bantel to a warmer spot this winter. I definitely kept the Bantel in the cold last winter and it survived, but I'd really like to see that poor plant grow some.

• Charissa Karcher
    10 years ago

I am also in the Lehigh Valley. Now I know why I am having a hard time finding different sans ;o). Beautiful collection.

10 years ago

Well I'm from the Pittsburgh area. Looks like I am going to get more competing. Ha Ha. That's ok. Like the recent Bantel's Sensation I just bought. I didn't need any but just couldn't pass up a deal like that. One person who saw me pick up all four, I asked her if she wanted one. Even after I explained to her what they were. She wasn't interested.

Enterotoxigenic, I have a 'Eve'. Reverse of Whitney. Or at least it looks exactly like it. No pups yet but a huge root system. Most defferently come spring I will have more. I'll put you in my list for one.
    Stush

• eaksqueak
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Stush, did you repot the Lowes plants? I got my Bantel at Lowes as well and the soil it was in was just weird. It was like a giant loofah sponge. I know some soils turn into a block when they are dry but that stuff was a giant chunk even when wet. I finally got around to repotting that one last month. The plants just pulled right out leaving holes like they were posts in concrete.

10 years ago

eaksqueak,
    Yes and no. I have one pot untouched to take apart for gifts. The others are repotted in new mix and spaced apart. There was anywhere between 5 to 7 plants in each pot.

• woodnative
    10 years ago

eaksqueak i am a bucks county native...born in Philly but now living in NJ. What is the plant in the back rightnof your top pic?? Almost looks like Futura 'striated'!?!!! Where is this from and do you have a closer pic??

• woodnative
    10 years ago

eaksqueak i am a bucks county native...born in Philly but now living in NJ. What is the plant in the back rightnof your top pic?? Almost looks like Futura 'striated'!?!!! Where is this from and do you have a closer pic??

• eaksqueak
    Original Author
    10 years ago

There sure seem to be a lot of northeasterners here. :)

Woodnative, That's a mystery plant from Home Depot. Or maybe Lowes. I can never remember. The tag says it was grown for Ivy Acres. Actually, this is the first snake plant I bought. It's a slippery slope.

{{gwi:1254391}}

• woodnative
    10 years ago

Very interesting and different with the central sttripe on each leaf. Almost looks like a futura form of 'Becky'

• eaksqueak
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Maybe I should repot this one then. I've had it a year and its soil is all old and crunchy. It has not made any pups since I got it, just grew a little taller. I would be happy to share offsets if the plant can work up the energy to make some.

• eaksqueak
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have new plants... again. I just got these last night at Lowes. I didn't have this kind. *happy dance* Someone suggested to me that this is like a dieting technique, because I seem to be more interested in plants than in food. It is true. If forced to choose between Doritos and a snake plant, I would choose the snake plant every time.

10 years ago

eaksqueak,
    From the photo, it looks like Hahnii Marginated. This is the plant I am giving away right now. It pups freely. Yours looks more sharper. Watch for mutations. It looks to be producing more yellow stripes. Maybe a hahnii variegated in time?
    Stush

10 years ago

Enterotoxigenic, I have a 'Eve'. Reverse of Whitney. Or at least it looks exactly like it. No pups yet but a huge root system. Most defferently come spring I will have more. I'll put you in my list for one.
    Stush

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler