Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dps657

sans night temp

dps657
19 years ago

Have been away from the garden web for a while. Was busy with moving then moving my greenhouse. It was only 2 miles but it seemed like 200! While I was away this forum started up.

Have less window space in new house. Used to bring my sans back in in the fall afer a summer on the porch. Am thinking of keeping them in gh this winter but I am uneasy about night temperature.

The gh is easily heated in winter, with good control of the heat. The gh is insulated and I use a shade/night curtain to cut down loss of heat. It is designed for wny winters. Used to keep it around 42 or so for other succulents.

I know sans won't like that..so, what is minimum night temp you would go with in the gh? Manjorty are well established sans species.

I don't want to risk cold damage.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Comments (7)

• Solar_Storm
    19 years ago

I've read in some of the literature, skimpy as it is, that Sans like temps above 55 degrees, but the REALLY important thing is to keep yhem on the dry side at these temps when they are not actively growing.

I'm going to have a similar situation this winter because all my Sans are outdoors and have to remain there and even though I live near Los Angeles, temps do get below 55 in the winter and its our rainy season.

• mairzy_dotes
    19 years ago

Boy, it looks like we are all in the same boat. Ha. I don't have a greenhouse either and mine are all outside here in the Long Beach area of S. Calif. I can bring a lot of them inside, but I have so many now, I am just afraid I won't be able to find a place for ALL of them. If I just had a list of which ones could stand it in the 40s & 50s (typical nightime temps here in winter), I could go from there. I know my original T. Laurentii can take it as it has been living outside for years, but just not sure about all the new ones I have aquired this summer.
    Marcy

• wankel
    19 years ago

I lost about fifteen great plants last year when I had them on our patio room floor and the temps dropped to around 45 degrees. Didn't know Sans were that cold sensitive but I found out in a hurry...

• Solar_Storm
    19 years ago

Hey, Marcy . . looks like we live pretty close. I'm in Torrance. Maybe we can visit' I'll send a private email. Have your plants survived ANY winters yet? Last winter I had only two Sans. A parva and a probable gracilis cross called "Spikey". And in fact both of those plants have been outdoors for several years, but I didn't know they were suceptable to cold and damp. That they survived was probably just dumb luck.

• deefar
    19 years ago

I know what you mean by our night temps. I too live in WNY. I live between Buffalo and Rochester. What area do you live in.

• dps657
    Original Author
    19 years ago

SE of Rochester. Western Finger Lakes. Actually we are Zone 5 or 6 depending on which map I use. Do you have any experience with sans and winter night temps?

• Michaela
    19 years ago

As Solar Storm said, Keep them all dry! and they will do much better in the winter.
    Mike
    knoxville, TN

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio