Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nat_lia

Sansevieria ID and Care

nat_lia
10 years ago

Hi everyone :) I'm a newbie to Sans. I believe this is my 1st thread in Sans forum. My neighbor gave me two offsets (with roots), I re-potted both in plastic pots+ gritty mix. One pot on the left, it gets 3-4 hours direct morning sunlight about a foot from my east window. I need ID for both plants please. My neighbor said they came from the same mother plant.

Another Sans I bought last fall 2012. Is it Sansevieria ballyi 'Minnie'?

I got the 1st offset last month (July 1), 1st good watering was about 10 days after repotting (July11). The second watering was just yesterday (August 4). I realize that the first Sans I got (left pic below) has problem with its leaves. One of the leaf as you can see is curling out with crispy brown at one side. A smaller leaf of the same plant seems to show the same problem. Here are the pics (sorry the pics are too dark) :

{{gwi:1254477}}

Am I under- watering my Sans? the second offset I got just yesterday is perfectly healthy, no watering yet as I just re-potted today. What am I doing wrong? will the leaves recover? Thank you.

Natalia

Comments (4)

• barbmock
    10 years ago

Hi Bougainvillea,

Thanks for stopping over in the sans forum. I am no expert, but I'll give my opinion. Your first photo is a trifasciata, I can't be more specific. The second one does look like a Bally Minnie. I have this plant andI love it. It has put out 6 pups!

As far as watering, I think you are being way too cautious. You have sun on your plants and they must be warm at this time of year plus you have a very porous mix, so I would water at least every week in the summer, taper off in the winter to a couple of times a month. Sans are more like a tropical during the warm months and more like a succulent in the winter.

• nat_lia
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi bmock, my name is Natalia, nice to meet you :) Thank you for taking time to answer my post. I will do as you suggest; to water more. I guess I let my Sans too dry. I'm still learning and reading more about Sans from this forum. I'm now on page 5 :) It's fun to read and see many different Sans here. I still have a question regarding my post above: Will the leaves on the first Sans recover?

Sans. ballyi 'Minnie' is one of my favorite, the picture I took above was last year picture. It's a slow grower for me :( I put my ballyi minnie outside and found that the roots rot. My neighbor was trying to help me by watering my succulents every 2-3 days. To keep my story short, I cut the rooted stem, sprinkle with cinnamon, let it dry for a few days and planted in my mix. It has been about 5 weeks, no watering yet but misting the top soil. I haven't seen a new growth but hope it survives.

I think I am in love with Sans....lol, especially Sans. pinguicula, cylindrica, and the dwarf form- variegated Sans.

Natalia

• barbmock
    10 years ago

Hi Natalia,

You can find lots of good info here, it just takes time to read through it. You can search for topics too.

I think your leaves will plump up when they get some water stored in them. If there is scar from an injuy, it will stay. But pretty soon you will get some new leaves.

You probably need to give that Minnie a good drink too. Five weeks is a long time without water.

• Michaela
    10 years ago

Hi Natalia,
    I agree with 'bmock'. Your plants are trifasciatas, but more than that they are a trifasciata Hahnii variety which is a class of dwarf trifasciatas. There are at least a dozen different looking Hahnii varieties. They should not be difficult to grow in your Zone 8, and in a few weeks should plump up a bit and by next Spring, if all goes well, you will see new little plants showing up around the mother plant. The 3rd plant in your pictures is probably a S. ballyi as Bmock suggested. I think it is just a young plant. The leaves will all get much longer, and the plant will send out 1 or 2 Above-ground, maybe 6-8 inch long, rhizomes with new plants at the rhizome tips, This will be your signal to send more pictures! :-)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths