Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stephania_gw

Miniature Sans

stephania
15 years ago

My buddy, Gift Wattana, has kept Sans for awhile.

But he does love to minimize his Sans as bonsai.

Gift Wattana with his xeric plants collection at the balcony.

Sans Bonsai !

From left clockwis : Sans. concinna, Sans. canaliculata,

Sans. kirkii v. pulchra 'Copper Tone' and Sans. pinguicula

With his Sans. 'Samurai' (a Sans. robusta complex)

Sans. suffruticosa dwarf form.

With his favorite, Sans. kirkii 'Silver Blue' that I gave him.

Sans. hallii

Comments (12)

• woodnative
    15 years ago

Stephania-
    Your pictures are wonderful, and really show the diversity and beauty of these Genus. Your friend is a good Sansevieria grower AND very artistic!!

I love S. kirkii 'Silver Blue' also!

• jerusalemcherry
    15 years ago

Great pictures, i grow my Sansevieria myself in bonsai pots. Out of all houseplants, they seem to be the leeast fussy.

• dufflebag2002
    15 years ago

But if you put them in a larger pot they will grow larger.
    Its like the feet of Chinese women in the old days, bind them to keep them small. You must start the plants when very young, there is a man in the Philippines that does this for his special hobby, Ramos? I forgot his last name. But you may have heard of him. Norma

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    15 years ago

Really neat. I'm glad you posted these pictures of your friend and his Sans. I don't have much space for inside plants and these small plants catch my eye. I particularily like the one at 6:00 o'clock in your 5th photo - the small dark green with white edges. Can you tell me what it is?

• stephania
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Maryl, that's San. pinguicula

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    15 years ago

Thank you for the info. I guess I should ask, does it grow up or will it stay small like your picture? I grow Sans. Golden Hahnii and that stays short (as I'm sure you know) and is the perfect size for my small window.

• stephania
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Normally San. pinguicula grows slowly, can be kept in that pot for years.

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    15 years ago

Thank you again (and tell your friend thank you too). I will try and locate one this spring. We have a cactus and succulent show in the spring here and I will see what they have there.

• stephania
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I hope you can find this neat Sans, unfortunetely that I live so far from you,
    I've successfully propagated this plant from leaves cutting.

Anyway, I have seen a source in your State.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sansevieria source in Okla

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    15 years ago

How very nice of you to provide a link for me in my home state. I would never have known of this source except for you. I will see what she can come up with next spring. We have communicated already via e-mail...From looking at all your Sans "starts" I'd say you have a really "green thumb".......Again, thank you for your help. Much appreciated.

• isusandi
    15 years ago

Norma,

Did you mean Angel Ramos?
    He is a Philippines but he lived in Hawaii
    Correct me if I'm wrong ;)

• norma_2006
    15 years ago

I think you are 100% correct. I just didn't know where he lived, He does some very interesting work.