Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pirate_girl

Updating the Hydro grown Sans. family

pirate_girl
11 years ago

Here they are: 2 no IDs & one is Masoniana. They just keep chugging right along.

Grown from single leaves in just water & Leca stones for any newcomers since the last time I've shown these.

Norma, if your around, I hope you see how well these are coming along. I often think of you when I see them.

{{gwi:99217}}

Comments (7)

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

They're so cute, and look very happy! What are leca stones?

• barbmock
    11 years ago

Hi Karen,

How long have these been in hydro? Do you feed them?

I saw your post about starting a single leaf this way. Barb

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    11 years ago

Great Karen, We all learn from you experimenting. Thanks for the updates. Looking good.

Purple, Just what I asked when I first heard about this. These are fired baked clay stones with tiny holes in them. They sell them just for this purpose. Google it and it should tell you all about it.

Stush

• norma_2006
    11 years ago

I just came on a minute ago hoping that I would find you, I really miss you. So glad that you were the first name that popped up. I have a water grown Masoniana as well, remember they are jungle growers along the Equator, I think it will depend what are their native conditions, if they take to water, S. parva is another plant that likes water and well as the spoon leaf forms, that is why they wern't doing well for me. Now the spoon leaf varieties flower freely. Lets keep in touch Crasulady2@dslexteme.com Norma

• pirate_girl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Barb,

The smaller of those 3, in the last pix, left foreground, the S. Masoniana has been in there since Feb. '11. The rest are older whose tags I've lost. I don't particularly feed them, maybe once, very dilute, 'cause I tend not to change the water, just add to it.

I do throw in some small charcoal chips (aquarium grade), to help the water not get yucky.

Hiya Norma (waving),

Good to see you. See, I'm spreading the Sans. love as I know you'd be happy to see. Hugs to you, I'll be in touch.

Hey Purple,

Stush is right, Leca stones are porous balls of fired clay. One can use them in the inner pot around the plant to help hold it in place, being porous I think the water can be absorbed as needed by the plant.

The hardest thing here it remembering to top them off every couple of days, tough life they have. ;>)

• barbmock
    11 years ago

Hi Karen,

I want to try starting some leaves in those little clay stones. I think I may try finding them at one of those stores that sell the water plants for ponds. I haven't seen them at the chain stores. It's amazing how many plants can do well in water. Do you also grow your hoya cuttings this way?

Hi Norma, I feel like I know you. I have been reading back thru the archives and see your notes quite often. You have quite a collection and lots of experience. It's nice that you take the trouble to help people.

Barb

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

Thanks for the explanations. Much more interesting and social than a goog!