Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rainforestguy

Will the real San. Mason Congo please stand up?

RainforestGuy
12 years ago

As mentioned previously, S. Mason Congo is a mono-phyllic species with a single leaf as an entire plant.

This plant can get even taller and fatter with more fertilizing and watering. These can get bigger if planted in the ground.

Comments (5)

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    12 years ago

Yes, they get bigger if they're fed and positive fan-like in the ground.

• norma_2006
    12 years ago

Jeff you're right on. I have four different leaf forms, they are all 'Masoniana' at this time unless they changed the name again, one came from Hawaii. He brought it back for me. it has a creased leaf. One has green leaves, one is variegated and one came from Africa directly via the HBG. Jeff remember the problems we had over a Kalanchoe, because there were so many forms, and hybrids, big leaves, small leaves, bearded leaf, same problem. Same plant but diffent forms, may have been hybrids, or selections. They also grow differently from different locations, soils, water availability. shaded by a tree, differnt dna from the parents each seed grown may be different but we dont give them a different name. They are still S. masoniana. I am trying to explain this very carefully not for you Jeff but for the members who don't know any better yet and I don't want them getting incorrect information. If they are different the flowers will be different as well, your plant that I refused to give a name, could well be a S. masoniana it has the spots. I have one no spots on the variegated one, but the new leaf is green it may have spots I must look today if I remember. Sorry for such a long message, I am an expert but a student of the species, and I research before I write anything here. I also site my resource. Jeff are you allowed to receive a non-cites plant with no roots? Norma

• norma_2006
    12 years ago

I am NOT an expert, left out the right word sorry forum. Norma

• norma_2006
    12 years ago

All of my S. masoniana have three leaves to a growth, all are documented plants, I have a few more but they are not documented, so I will give these to my club for the raffle table. I will not destroy a plant, my extra plants I save for the Abby rescue group, they sell the plants and it goes for adoptions, and doctor bills/ for their meds so they can be adopted. I love doing this the plants then have a purpose. Norma

• norma_2006
    12 years ago

My stuckii haa single leaf per growth. They are cousins to the cylindrica group, but very stout, they will never lay down their leave, leaves are approximatly 5 ft tall at this time and only three to the very large pot I have them in. It roots down very rapidly starting with only nubs, it did not flower this year. Norma

Sponsored
Virginia Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars151 Reviews
Virginia's Award Winning One Stop Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Resource