Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rainforestguy

S. Forescate, who grows this?

RainforestGuy
12 years ago

This is a slow grower than the other Slipped Stripes form. But a well grown plant is always eye-catching.

Comments (11)

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    12 years ago

Ah, you mean Sansevieria trifasciata 'Forescate' - nope, don't have it. To me it's uninteresting, but for others who like this sort of Sans, I reckon it's desirable.

• RainforestGuy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I wreckin it's a pattern of opposites. There are several other patterned varieties that possess this unique reverse pattern. Those that do are slower growers and in an environment that doesn't have to compete with other more aggressive varieties in the same pot, they do wonders!

• woodnative
    12 years ago

I grow this but I am in temperate NJ and don't really have a good place for Sans in the winter. The first winter I kept it in a warm room at work, under lights and it did great. Last winter I had it at home which was cooler and darker and I lost part of it. In summer it grows as easily as the other Sans but seems less forgiving of less than ideal growing environment like many strongly variegated plant. When well grown it is a beauty!!

• norma_2006
    12 years ago

I have grown this plant for years. ex Juan Chahuinian. Mine doesn't look anything like your picure.

• chainsawz
    12 years ago

I don't grow that one, but I like it.

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    12 years ago

So these Sans trifasciata and their kin (like RFG's S. t. 'Forescate') must flower, but when? As long as I've ever seen them, in the thousands of offices, cafes, restaurants and homes where many of them are (read: everywhere), I've never, ever seen them flower.

It couldn't be that they're so successful vegetatively that they never flower because they don't need to? I seem to remember a Euphorbia that has those qualities - something that's been in the nursery trade for a long time and no one has ever seen it flower.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

• woodnative
    12 years ago

cactusmcharris- IF they are well grown they will in fact flower on a mature section. Each piece will only flower once but then continue to produce offsets afterwwards. I think a lot of the plants you see are "barely getting by" in starved soil or dark businesses and these will continue to exist, maybe even slowly grow, but not flower.

• RainforestGuy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Most people grow sansevierias for their leaves and most of the flowers of most of the species look pretty much the same.
    The forescate is a slower grower (a bonus for those who like to keep their plants from over running the pots.
    This plant has produced many variations very different from other laurentii forms.

• norma_2006
    12 years ago

I've grown 250 of the for ISI. They were all started from only one plant the care takers killed off the first batch, so I had to start over so we could offer them for sale. They were grown in an outdoor whoop house no heater but good air circulation and fast draining mix.We had a very mild winter that year. Norma

• meyermike_1micha
    12 years ago

Those are so nice RainforestGuy!

Thanks for the pics. I have a couple planted in the ground that will require by bringing in very soon. One all yellow. I wish I knew what is was.

MIke