Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
the_pumpkin_queen

New to Sans & Need ID help

the_pumpkin_queen
18 years ago

While at my mother's this weekend I went on a plant gathering extravaganza and brought home some of her Mother In Law's Tongue plant. It had been growing in this pot that must have been about 18 gals. and had cracked open the side. There must have been at least 100 individual plants in there! I repotted it for her and plan on going back and doing a nicer job later in the year but anyway...on to the reason why I am posting!

I have no idea what variety it is, and would like a little help IDing it. The pieces I have are about 3 ft tall and the ones growing in the middle of my mom's pot are about 3.5-4 ft.

Any growing recommendations would be greatly appriciated as well.

Would these survive the outdoors in zone 7? Just curious since she has sooo many...I was thinking of planting a few in the ground on each side of her porch.

Thanks so much,

Jessi

{{gwi:1254775}}
{{gwi:1254776}}

Comments (3)

• the_pumpkin_queen
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Also, how deep do these need to be planted?
    ~Jessi

• logan33
    18 years ago

It is most likely a S.trifasciata and no unfortunately they are not hardy enough for zone 7. As far as growing recommendations, I put mine outside for the summer months and they get much more water during that growing period. They can do well with quite a bit of water during that time but when they go back inside they only get watered maybe once a month during the winter when they are dormant. As with many plants, wet and cool temps is a bad combination. When you move them outside, do so gradually so they don't burn. I only put mine outside in an area where they get morning sun and dappled sun thru the rest of the day but others do grow some in more sun but whichever you do , I would just be careful to move them into more sun gradually because they are rather tender from being inside all winter. They are generally an easy plant to grow...tuff as nails and can survive and bounce back from almost anything except too much water during cool weather. As far as your question about what level to plant it in the pot...I would try to replant it at the same level it was in the original pot. I am no expert but I just thought I'd give you some info to start with...others may give better info eventually. Good luck , sans are great plants and if you are anything like me this will only be the beginning . There are tons of cool sans out there to choose from. logan

• cactijoe
    18 years ago

They like sun and heat. If you pot them just so they don't tip over that would be deep enough. They are very easy to grow outside and are agressive in a warm sunny location where they will need weekly watering (if it doesn't rain). I have one on an Eastern exposure and Southern and they look the same only the Southern bloomed this year with greenish white flowers that smell sooo sweet. I mix the potting soil with pelleted fertilizer, sand, and perlite although they are not too fussy. Divide every two years or as needed and soon the whole planet will have one.