Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
melissa_thefarm

'Sansevieria Future Mix'

melissa_thefarm
16 years ago

This was the name on the pots of the mixed Sansevierias that I found at Ikea the other day. All this time I've been envying you U.S. residents that find interesting Sans at places like Lowes and Home Depot (mind you, I have access to a wonderful nursery, so I'm doing fine). Anyway, I rummaged through the batch and brought away four plants, at least three of which I'm reasonably certain I don't have at home. I'm wondering whether anyone can give me some information about them.

These plants are 9"-10" tall, with broad fleshy leaves about 3" at the widest point and a general look of S. trifasciata about them. The leaves are not upright but spread out in a form that I believe is called tulip shaped. Three are vigorous growers with three shoots in the pot, two of them new growth; one, startlingly variegated, is a recently rooted cutting with narrower leaves than the others. The varieties are the following: one has leaves patterned like S. trifasciata 'Laurentii'; one has the dark and light green typical patterning, new growth lighter than on my tall plant with this color; one is pale gray-green with only faintest cross-banding, very similar and possibly identical to my (I think) 'Moonshine', but with new growth paler and mature growth darker than 'Moonshine' (cultural differences?); finally, an extremely gaudy variety, outer surfaces of leaves like 'Laurentii', inner side almost completely golden yellow streaked and splashed with green, with the green-and-gold pattern of 'Laurentii' still visible under the yellow: an amazing plant.

I went browsing through the Glass Works House catalog and found reference to the Futura group and some individual cultivars listed and shown, and they sound like my plants. Can anyone tell me anything about this group? What I've just written is everything I know about them. Thanks,

Melissa

Comments (8)

• woodnative
    16 years ago

Sounds like another "Moonshine". Could the others be "Futura Simplex" and "Goldflame". I would not think the last one would show up at IKEA, but you never know....

• flicker
    16 years ago

Take a look at these....some of my favorite shots.
    http://public.fotki.com/Grootscholten/sansevieria/

I hope this works, too.
    Johanna

• melissa_thefarm
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Johanna,
    Thanks for the photo pages: there sure are a lot of beautiful Sans in the world.

Woodnative,
    Your suggestions sound quite possible. I didn't look up 'Goldflame' today, but I think I saw it before in the Glass House Works catalog and it did resemble my Ikea plant.

• entwife
    16 years ago

Your Moonshine lookalike might be Pearl Young. Try to google some images and see if that's it. :-)

• melissa_thefarm
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Entwife,

Thanks for the suggestion. I went and looked at pictures of 'Pearl Young'; that is not my plant, which is probably another 'Moonshine' (I can think of worse fates than having two 'Moonshine's). While looking I enjoyed a pleasant tour of a Japanese collector's plants. There sure are a lot of pretty Sansevierias in the world.

Melissa

• woodnative
    16 years ago

Melissa-
    Have you identified these plants? I am especially interested in your gaudy, streaked and splashed plant. Do you have a photo of this? Also, was there only one at the store? Perhaps it was a "sport" or "mutation" of something else that made it to the store (and into your shopping cart!). Either way, neat find.
    Earlier this year I was in Florida and there was a large, in-ground planting of common S. t. 'laurentii'. Among the large group there were some that sported to plain green or all gold. There was also on stalk with two leaves, one side being normal 'laurenti' but the other side having the reverse pattern, like "Forescate'. I brought this back, hoping it will pup from the side that looks like 'Forescate' and this will come true. Time will tell!

• melissa_thefarm
    Original Author
    16 years ago

woodnative,

Following up these ideas if a big part of the fun of gardening. Good luck with your 'Forescate' type! But even if you don't get the pup, I bet you're enjoying yourself.

About my plants, your surmises still sound good. There was another San. thread, 'Sanseviera Moonglow', in which a guy named Russ FLA said that leaf cuttings from 'Moonshine' would give plants of regular trifasciata coloring but 'Moonshine' leaf shape. This form he said is called S. trifasciata 'Robusta', and it sounds like the fourth of my Ikea finds. This plus your three suggestions sound good to me, though I don't know for certain. They're nice plants in any case.

I don't have any photos of my gaudy plant, which is doing fine in my kitchen window. There were two plants of it in the batch: being a moderate person who loves her fellow man, I took one plant and left the other for some other lucky soul to find.

So far, though it's early in the winter, my Sans. are doing fine. I hope yours are, too!

Melissa