Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hannahp1130

My Sans is Yellowing and Dying - One leaf at a time

HannahP1130
10 years ago

Nearly two months ago, I moved into a new apartment with my husband. We loved it; but I started to notice that my Sans. started to yellow and shrivel up (only one leaf at a time).

At first, I was only mildly worried - I thought that the plant was in shock from the move and would bounce back soon. So I removed the dead leaf (which looked zombie-fied - no juices, brownish-yellow and shriveled).

However, about a week and a half later, another leaf failed! I didn't notice either dead leaf until it REALLY failed, but now I am afraid that something is really wrong with my plant.

I've been watching it like a hawk, and now I've noticed what I think is the beginning of another failing leaf. Noooooo! I love this plant and would hate to lose it.

Does anybody know what the problem could be or how to stop it?

Comments (10)

• HannahP1130
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is another photo of the entire Sans. I have two different plants potted together, and so far, only the darker Sans. has been affected by the zombie disease.

The spot looks small on the entire plant, but I am afraid that it will spread quickly.

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    10 years ago

Too many variables to consider, but I would check the roots out. Seems like they are rotting. I would replant into a much smaller pot and keep dry and warm. May mist the leaves sometimes. Try not to get water into the center crown. Then in a month or two, resume watering only when dry.

• norma_2006
    10 years ago

More air circulation. water from the bottom, if you live in the Eastern States, ask Pirate Girl. She live in New York, and I think grows them indoors, could that be sun burn then rot. It could be over watering, or the soil, could be a heater problem, or draft. or need fresh soil.This is the first place to look. Stush, I think you may have hit it on the nail. I forgot they do like to be crowded. Cut down on watering now for the rest of the winter. How hot is it in the house, Or did you take them out for the sun, they don't like to be moved they don't like to be divided. It sets them back considerable. This is the way to refresh an old plant however. If they are used to be in the shade and you moved the plant well. Keep it out of a draft. I don't know what else to suggest. Stush it is now on your platter.

10 years ago

Thanks Norma,
    I think Karen could sound in now also. Much good advise here.
    Stush

• HannahP1130
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Update: since my last post, the two dark leaves have both failed. And now, it seems like the lighter plant is getting flimsy. I looked at the roots the other day, which were dry and orange - no wet spots at all, and the roots came up up from the soil easily. The roots all came up attached. I followed the advice given - do you think it is possible that I have under watered? Or that my plant can bounce back?

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

Hi Folks,

I'm not good w/ this particular Sans., have killed several, so I'm sorry to say I'm not one to offer advice on this Sans.

Sounds like maybe watering would be good, but w/out seeing a current pic, I'm reluctant to say.

10 years ago

Hannah,
    Don't feel bad. Even the best lose some times. I do have more dark kind if you want them. Just postage come spring. I also lost a great deal last winter, none this winter and almost none past winters. Why, I don't know. But keeping at 70 degrees, out of draft, water very low. They should survive but some times don't. Check out all you can and let us know. We are missing some thing. Sounds funny but add a aspirin to your water when you water. Maybe one aspirin to a large watering can and only once.

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

Hi Stush,

Can I pls. ask what the aspirin is supposed to do? I hadn't heard this suggestion before.

• Laura Robichaud
    10 years ago

I had this happen with one of mine that I rescued last spring. It was in really wet peaty soil at the garden center. I removed all the soil and every leaf that had brown near the soil line and/or those dry spots on the leaves. It was mostly outside leaves. If one of the pups is all flimsy, remove it. It'll just fail leaf by leaf. Dust the cut parts with cinnamon and pot it up in a dry mix. I use gritty mix (equal parts turface, crushed granite and screen bark...you can find how to make it by searching this site) or use a potting soil cut 50/50 with rinsed perlite. Don't water it in. I wouldn't water for a couple of weeks.

Good luck!

10 years ago

PG,
    Some one here said it helps. I know of stories of an aspirin in the water for cut flowers and also Christmas tree water. Suppose to help it take up water. But not sure.