Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roberto2_gw

New cultivars from Costarica

roberto2
9 years ago

Hola! i am here again. I found, by chance, that Florica Farms has just patented 6 new trifasciata cultivars, namely :'Tyler', 'Winter Green', 'Twister', 'Kristi', 'Black Jack' and 'Whitney'. Unfortunately, I cannot open the photo of the plants on the Government Weekly Patent site, so, despite the thorough descriptions, I can't say which plants we are speaking of. Are these cultivars for sale on the US market? Well, I , of course, know 'Twister' and 'Whitney', but never heard of the others before. As I recently imported many new cv from Indonesia with fancy names, I wonder if these guys of Florica Farms simply did the same and patented plants that were yet around.....

Comments (9)

• barbmock
    9 years ago

Hi Roberto,
    I have seen some Black Jack sans in a local nursery. I am in Georgia, in the southern US. It appeared to be a form of Black Gold. It was a medium height, but very chunky and robust. More so than any Black Gold type I have seen. I would have bought one, but the plants had been poorly shipped and seemed to have some kind of leaf spot disease.
    We have discussed Kristi here recently. It may be a form of Goldflame, at least it is very similar.
    Those black and white patent photos are so poor, they will be of little help.

• roberto2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thanks, bmock. In the meanwhile, I contacted Florica Farms and they kindly replied that their plants are distributed by Charlie Cook . In their site (charlie-cook .com) there are good pics of each cultivar. Nice plants, indeed. I would like to have one...

• vivaria
    9 years ago

I would love to get Whitney and Black Jack...stunning! What are the best sources for hobby growers to obtain cultivars like these? I see them on wholesale growers' lists, but most of them do not appear to do business on a retail level.

• Sans2014
    9 years ago

Vivaria,
    I got my Whitney from Hirt's Gardens via Amazon.
    Fred

• roberto2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I actually have 73 different cv of trifasciata, ready for exchange with US collectors. Up to now, I received no requests...

• woodnative
    9 years ago

roberto2 I think we are drooling at your offer but have nothing to offer in exchange!! If you already have 73 cultivars, you probably have everything we already have and a few dozen more. I would certainly love to see more of what you have! -Chris (Woodnative)

• vivaria
    9 years ago

Thanks to all for your responses! Due to the generosity of two members from the forum, I now have Whitney, Midnight Shine, Streaker, Silver Frost, Siebert, and Gold Flame! I'm very excited to have them in my collection. Still maybe nothing Roberto doesn't have... : )

• roberto2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is a list of what I am looking for:

Kristi
    Slipped stripes
    Sunrise (Sunshine)
    Assalam
    Herminia
    Hendrika
    Becky
    Golden Street
    Gold America
    Gold Banner
    Sheri
    Yellow Thrift
    There are US nurseries that sell more interesting cultivars, but they don't ship overseas. I will send You some more names...

• Oyster
    6 years ago

Is there any information on the availability of these cultivars in the EU already? That Winter Green is stunning! Thank you.