Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gonzer_gw

experiences

gonzer_gw
20 years ago

I now have 12 species planted out in my yard residing in almost straight river bottom silt-sand. Most of my species were obtained from Grigsby's in Vista CA. Most are designated with with letters and #'s as they have not been classified as yet. They range from pencil-thin leaves to nasty spike topped clubs. One species has small paddle shaped leaves(3"-4") that spreads by underground rhizomes and can pop up 4' away from the parent plant. It really can be a problem in a succulent garden. I have never understood the hoopla about flowering on these plants as the blooms are so ho-hum. I've never lost a plant due to climactic conditions here but it really is no fun to say "Hey, my 75-#$6530 just pushed a new leaf!). I need some literature. Help!!! Thanks.

Comments (4)

• Cena
    20 years ago

The hoopla about the flowers for me happens to be the answer to the question..."How many of YOUR houseplants bloom with an astonishing fragrance for seven consecutive days?" Come to think of it, how many of your average houseplants bloom?

I think the only information you are going to get is from Grisby's or whomever is hybridizing these plants. If it isn't grown under a recognized name then it hasn't been 'officially' named and registered yet. I don't know all the steps or levels before that happens, but I have read some excellent explainations over at the Hoya Forum.

I particularly like the little greenhouse under the 'fluff' tree at Grigsbys. Some really nice Sans in there. You are in prime nursery heaven where you are located. Sheesh, now I'm jealous. I got really lost trying to find Grigsbys...

• jon_d
    20 years ago

Here in Northern California I never grow sans outside. They are not so much too tender as I don't get down to 32 every year--more like one year in five, but the rain combined with coolness really ruins them. I guess in S. Califonria they get just a little more warmth and less rain and do very well. But, if you want plants that have perfect leaves, without scars and damage then they need to be indoors. The flowers on sanseverias all are pretty much alike. But, the way they flower on their inflorescence really varies. Some, like metallica put out a huge floral scape, with hundreds if not thousands of buds densely spread out over several feet of the 4-6' inflorescence. It really makes a show (and a mess when the stickly flowers fall on the carpet). Meanwhile, fischeri (singularis) has no stem and the flowers come up right at the ground level on a campanulate inflorescence--really unique. The floral display is something to appreciate and enjoy--it adds to the whole appreciation of these plants.

Also, by growing them outside you may be missing their nighttime fragrance. Some are really cloying but some are more pleasant.

• gonzer_gw
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Cena and Jon, thanks to both of you for waking me out of my ignorant slumber. I knew that there had to be a catch, in this case the fragrance, that makes sansipaths out of ordinary folks. A 6' inflorescence?,WOW, put some of my bromeliad blooms to shame! Cena, you are not the only one to end up in boony-land trying to find Grigsby's. That little shade house under the Baobob tree is where I found most of my guys (and gals). A small eclectic nursery in Carlsbad actually raises many unusual species under glass alongside orchids,ferns and other tropicals. Weird but they are very healthy. Greg

• madabouteu
    20 years ago

Gonzer, my sans are alongside orchids, bromeliads, and other "wet" plants and do very well. I do compensate by potting them in a very fast draining mix and when possible I underpot them. Under these conditions, they tend to grow very quickly!

Kenneth (New Orleans)

Sponsored
Moda Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Loudoun County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living