Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stush49

Bantel's Sensation part II

Starting this back up. What's not to love about this plant. Mine have been doing great. I don't know why I could not grow this plant at first. Every attempt failed with base rot. This time with buying 4 pots full of plants equals to 24 plants each on clearance they just keep coming back. I gave several away. Greg, you got two from me last year because I wrongly thought yours may have been a 'Siam Silver' instead but closer examine show it is a Bantel. They keep puping and growing and flowering but not to the height of Barb's that she bought. That pot is to die for. Chris's is getting at that level now, and so is Joshs'. Nice growing.
Stush

Comments (24)

• Enterotoxigenic00
    9 years ago

A thank you to you for this also. The Bantel's you gave me are doing
    quite well. I had put them outside in the shade with another pot of Bantel's.
    The colors brightened and leaves grew longer and stronger.
    But with my recent problem with my indoor Whitney and water stasis,
    I'm wondering if this could be a possible problem since outdoor sans
    get watered freely with the sprinklers every other day. Of course I've
    checked them all for any signs of the same issue. Everything looks
    good for now. I'll just be more cautious from now on and follow
    your suggestions. Oh by the way you should see the root growth!
    You just have to love these.
    Karen

This post was edited by Enterotoxigenic00 on Tue, Sep 23, 14 at 10:03

• hijole
    9 years ago

Bantels are making a big come back! Come back! I can almost hear someone ask.
    Yes a come back. At least in my garden, I too was having a hard time getting mine to take off and through trial and error I made it! Ok , the Bantels made it.
    When I first purchased my first Sanseveria Bantel I was a little surprise prized that I had purchased a rootless plant. I noticed this when I started to repot it and to my surprise there weren't any roots, it appeared they had just chopped the plant and stuck it in a plastic container.

So I figured, ok I got this (Mr green thumb here.) Huh!

Well little by little it started dwindling down to almost two stocks from like almost six, and that was right about the same time that Josh. A.K.A greenman & I started this contest to see who could get their plant to take off and start developing growth and roots. At least for mine. I don't recall if Josh's plant was already rooted or not but in any case the contest was off to a good start with many twists and turns with some re potting on my end, I think like 3 times ð² Oh man, I finally recieved some tips from greenman and some others on here Not to mention Stush the man himself. And many other people on this site.

Well as it moved on it was looking like NOTHING was changing on my end and Josh was running way ahead of me but then some tiny little sprout popped out and to this day I still don't know what it really was but it appeared like I was gaining some ground on Josh's Bantel. Looking back I tell myself as I'm lol... ð thinking What was that anyway?

Well weeks went by months went by and a year rolled by and I think Josh really won the fight (contest. )

He was nice enough to make me think that I had won but reading his posts here and on fb he has way too much experience with plants to think that I won. Thanks Josh ðÂÂÂ

Stush, Thanks for starting this Bantel Sansation post back up maybe the next one can be titled "101 Sansations."

One thing I can say is that I have learned a bunch on this breed of Sanseveri plant, I thought at first it was a very fussy plant it turned out to be a great little trooper that just needed some time & space alone I've included a pictur from this afternoon and it difenetely has roots today and can even tolerate full sun for part of the day and keeps looking strong.
    Stush the ones that you sent me still seem to be a little bit different looking with some of the same colors but different lines and size, im still not an expert so im really not sure but tomorrow ill show a picture of it just to get your thoughts on it.

Well looks like dinners being served, so long yawl.

Greg

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Greg,
    With the weather you have, we had to be fools to complete with you. Yours was the first to pup showing great root and growth. Next Josh came in with a much larger bigger growing plant. Mine all died and I restarted with a clearance purchase at Lowes. I was almost ready to give up since the first two attempts resulted in failure. A loss of 6 plants in two years. But glad I found those and gave it another try. I gave 1/2 away and they still pup and multiply and even bloom. The picture this time is the two pups showing a little more yellow and hope it stays. Starting to look a little like 'Golden Street'.
    Chris,
    Do you still have any S. tri. Golden Street left? Your openion?
    Stush

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    9 years ago

Hey, guys!

Greg, you are right....my plant was root-less and pretty beat up and pathetic when I got it. Some of the leaf-tips were browned or damaged, and the whole thing was a bit wilty. But it sure has turned into a fine planting!

Stush, I can assure you my plant was not a much larger growing plant....I thought it was at death's door! Here's the pic I posted at the initial weigh-in for the challenge. 5 months later, a pup finally emerged.

Josh

Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes I remember. Your special soil mix brought it back to life. Also I believe that the plant can some how know the goodness of the person growing them. And it responds accordingly. I started out with nice rooted 2 inch rhizomes and slowly lost them two years in a roll. Was getting me really discouraged. Lucky my clearance find brought me back. Now I have lots of them and growing fine.
    I looked up on U-Tube 'The Mind of Plants'. and was toally amased at what goes on inside plants. It is 1 hr. long so I may get boring at some point. I enjoyed every bit of it.
    Here's a picture of the B.S. I purchased. Approx. 6 in each pot and was soaking in water. I had to drain the water out at the store just to buy them.
    Stush

9 years ago

Thanks, Stush! Ha! had to drain them at the store just to buy them! No kidding....it amazes me at how plants are treated at stores. And equally amazing how tough these plants can sometimes be.

Josh

• woodnative
    9 years ago

Stush 'golden street' did not make it here for me. 'Bantel's Sendation' doing ok but yet to pup this year. Maybe needs some new soil. Current photo.

9 years ago

Woodnative, that is one full pot!

Josh

• hijole
    9 years ago

Hey yawl, here's one for the books, this is my Bantel that was in the contest, my questio is the longest stem is turning brown as you can see in the picture but all the others seem fine. What do you all know about this?

It would seem to me that whatever was causing it would effect the whole plant but apparently not in this case.

Thanks For The comments .

Greg

9 years ago

Hopefully it's just natural senescence, aka 'aging.' If there's rot, though, that would be terrible. I'd give it a gentle tug to see if it comes out....

Josh

• woodnative
    9 years ago

Yes hijole that "stem" is just the oldest leaf in that rosette. Actually it looks like it might have been buried a bit deep (that particular leaf) during last repotting. Pull it off and forget it was there!!

Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok, now the scary part. Roberto warned us about Diminutive mites and the damage they cause. Try a little powered sulfur to sprinkle over it. Stops the mites and fungus. Just to be on the safe side.
    But as far as I can tell, I agree with Woodnative.
    Stush

• hijole
    9 years ago

Whack! Well that takes care of that, sometimes you just gotta do whats right for the family.

I am a little surprised though I might say because although it seemed like it was rot all the other stocks were looking strong.

It was turning brown and climbing up the stock.

Greg

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

Probably just old age and the plant had "gotten rid" of it. That being said, it was still in the soil, so naturally, it rotted. Just my guess though!

Planto

9 years ago

Greg,
    perhaps you could remove a little of the mix on the top layer to just slightly expose the base to the air.

Josh

• hijole
    9 years ago

Thanks Josh, I will do at your word .

Planto, old age? ð² Yikes!

It was a little bit mushy and soft.

Greg

Original Author
    9 years ago

Greg,
    It happens. Before taking all my plants in the house. I pull off all dieing or damaged leaves. Mostly from my agaves but Sans also. Every time we change their envioment, they react by losing a leaf or two. Sans are very strong and some times takes all year to show it. Mine are all tucked away warm and dry, but with little light.
    Stush

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

Greg,
    Well, nothing lives forever (unfortunately). ðÂÂÂ

Planto

Original Author
    6 years ago

Those Lowes special clearance Bantal's are all doing very well for me.

That was before I brought them in for the winter. No current picture but looks basically the same. They also bloomed thru the winter.

Nice to remember this old post. I wonder how 'Hijole' is doing. Heard he's on Facebook but wonder why he doesn't post here anymore?

6 years ago

Very nice, Stush!

Greg started a succulent group on facebook called Succulent Dreamers...which has over 40,000 members now! It could be the largest succulent group of its kind. Anyhow, he's been pretty busy as the admin.

Josh

Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6 thanked greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I re-potted a couple plants today, so I made some extra mix and re-potted my Bantel's, as well. The new mix is more organic: mostly fir bark, with a bit of Ocean Forest potting mix, Perlite, and lava rock (scoria). After potting, I added more lava rock as a top dressing. The new container is a #1 nursery pot, which is about .71 gallons. I'll keep the Bantel's in the greenhouse for a couple weeks before bringing it back out into the shade.

A handful of the fresh mix:

The re-potted plant:

• woodnative
    6 years ago

Looks good! Keep us updated!!

• ewa321
    5 years ago

Stush - I am delighted with your plants, they are beautiful !! I only have two :) Well, unfortunately, it's growing poorly ...

Sponsored
Moda Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Loudoun County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living