Return to the Sansevieria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
General Cultural Techniques

Posted by skeip 5 WI (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 28, 12 at 11:01

Long time lurker, first time poster. I usually post over on Harvest or Vegetables. I have tried the search engine, but we all know how that is. I have about 20 Sans that I have been growing for the past several years. Most were puchased because I liked the coloration, leaf form or some other interesting aspect of the plant. I would not say that I am a collector, tho my family might care to argue that point.

My question is about best cultural techniques. My plants are all potted in hi fiber potting soil. In the summer I move them outside to the north side of the house, some am, some pm sun. Water to keep them moist, fertilize with 20-20-20 weekly at standard dilution. Plants look great, average to good new growth. This time of year they come inside to a east facing window, and they are run cool and dry for the winter.

When I buy a plant it will have a particular look, but then the pups, ofsets, whatever you call them, many times will have a totally different varigation pattern, leafsize / shape or color. Why is this? I understand about "sports" in vegetative reproduction, but one would not expect that at the rate that I am seeing. It has led to some interesting new looks that I have removed and potted up.

So long story longer, is there something that I am doing wrong culturally that is causing this, or is it just the nature of the beast? TYIA.

Steve

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: General Cultural Techniques

Skeip. Welcome!!! Do you have a photo you could share as an example? If not, could you give us an idea of the cultivar or variety you are talking about? If they have a mericlinal type variegation each new leaf and especially new pup will have a different variegation pattern. These may often stabilize into forms that are solid colored or more stable periclinal types which you can then separate and propagate. Periclinal variegates (good example is the common S. trifasciata 'laurenti') and solid colored plants should not differ that much between pup and mother plant. Different growing conditions may cause some difference in coloration but it will not be that drastic.

o
RE: General Cultural Techniques

It is possible you have bought young immature plants and when growing out they enlarge and look different. Again we need pictures and any ID you may have. Even like where you purchased them, Big Box Stores or Greenhouses or both. Most greenhouses/nurseries can give you a good idea of what to expect or the proper name of the Sans you bought.
And welcome to our forum.
Stush

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sansevieria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here