Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
skeip

General Cultural Techniques

skeip
11 years ago

Long time lurker, first time poster. I usually post over on Harvest or Vegetables. I have tried the search engine, but we all know how that is. I have about 20 Sans that I have been growing for the past several years. Most were puchased because I liked the coloration, leaf form or some other interesting aspect of the plant. I would not say that I am a collector, tho my family might care to argue that point.

My question is about best cultural techniques. My plants are all potted in hi fiber potting soil. In the summer I move them outside to the north side of the house, some am, some pm sun. Water to keep them moist, fertilize with 20-20-20 weekly at standard dilution. Plants look great, average to good new growth. This time of year they come inside to a east facing window, and they are run cool and dry for the winter.

When I buy a plant it will have a particular look, but then the pups, ofsets, whatever you call them, many times will have a totally different varigation pattern, leafsize / shape or color. Why is this? I understand about "sports" in vegetative reproduction, but one would not expect that at the rate that I am seeing. It has led to some interesting new looks that I have removed and potted up.

So long story longer, is there something that I am doing wrong culturally that is causing this, or is it just the nature of the beast? TYIA.

Steve

Comments (2)