Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stush49

My new Sans I got in August

I got these new additions to my collection last month. That makes me a real Sans addict. Worse part, I still want more!

I took two pictures of each plant to show the whole plant.

Comments (20)

• bonsaigai
    11 years ago

Stush, they're lovely! That Lilian True, the Daria, I'm absolutely green about the parva white! Where did you find it? Really really nice!

Heaven help us. I finally got all of my Sans in the house and I'm still buying more... I have it bad.

Michael
    Interlaken NY Z6

• woodnative
    11 years ago

Great plants Stush!
    Wow! 'Daria' looks nice and the others are beauties I am familiar with.
    Been busy with work....box going out Monday. he he....

• hijole
    11 years ago

Stush, You have got to do something about your addictive behavior, I'm serious your taking this way toooo farrrr.
    Have you tried S.A "Sanseveria announamous" Your collection is outa control.

Hahaha... Hey Stush I'm in the same boat with you when it comes to these plants, I run into people who are hooked on Roses and other types of spieces and think, What a great addiction.

Nice looking plants you scored there too.

Greg

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you, These plants was a gift who wants to remain anonymous. I only hope they don't mind me showing them off.

• barbmock
    11 years ago

Wow! Thanks for sharing your photos. You must have just about every variety of trifaciata. I like the Forescate and Daria. Oh, they are all nice!

You must be happy!
    Barb

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

Those are really cool. Especially like that weird "parva white" one, and the last one is striking.

You may or may not "get over it," the collecting, plantsanity. I was like that with Hostas once upon a time but when I realized I had to consult my notes to know which ones I didn't have yet, I decided enough was enough unless I found one that actually looked different enough that there was no question I didn't already have it. Then I moved and haven't bought one since.

I seem to be in remission. Unless you realize I'm trying to collect every Dracaena and tropical Tradescantia, and apparently there are enough Begonias to send one into financial ruin just going by appearance. And don't get me started on Sedums! Luckily, I rarely see any.

Original Author
    11 years ago

Purple,
    I too was into hosta. And like you I kept track of over 60 verities and they started to all look alike. Not worth the effort to purchase one because the name was different. I may have purchased 2 hosta in the last 6 years. I was into Jap. maples and conifers and then rose of sharon then something else. But I have been interested in Sansevieria for the past 40 or so years. Maybe too I will get over it. (Yea right). I do like the Wondering Jew types, both hardy and tropical. I own several right now. I just got into Heuchera. Something hardy that I can plant outside all year. Did I mention tropical fish or pond fish or toy trains???

• bonsaigai
    11 years ago

I can tell I've landed in the right group of people. I feel so "normal" here.

Let's see... conifers, maples, Hosta, begonias, bulbs- hardy and tender, caudiciforms, euphorbia, ferns... yes and now Sansevieria. This would be in addition to vegetable gardening and creating sizable pleasure gardens on the property.

Michael
    Interlaken NY Z6

Original Author
    11 years ago

Yep, nothing wrong here.

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

Hey Stush! How are you? Beautiful looking plants.
    I think you are getting a bit of the San's fever! Now, I am starting to wonder if I should stick around here longer than a few minutes.lol
    I love them. They don't look like the ordinary ones I see at Home Depot of the local nursery.
    It's the unique hard to find ones that peak my interest. What a kind thing for that person to do.

Michael, having fun yet? Yet another species of plant to add to my long list too.:-)

Mike

• woodnative
    11 years ago

Mike-
    Please stick around!! I enjoy your posts on the other forums. I would be happy to share some Sans with you too if you are interested.
    Stush-
    Forgot to comment on that Mein Liebling. I have that one too and it is certainly a unique Sans both in coloration and in its thick leaves......very different than other trifasciata types. -Chris

Original Author
    11 years ago

Glad you made it Mike,
    Now we are going to try to get you addicted like us. As soon as I get more boxes, I got a nice futura yellow stripped to send you and a 'MoonShine'.
    Stush

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

Stush and Chris...You are both much too kind!

Now this is one species of plant I have always wanted, but could never find anything different or unique to find a spcial spot in my home. But after looking at yours, well, I guess there is many I have not yet seen:-0)

I really appreciate your invite Stush and your warm welcoming too Chris! Made me smile:-) E-mail me anytime. I always keep in touch with Stush.

Mike

• bonsaigai
    11 years ago

Oh Mike... I have nearly 70 Sansevieria and only three are S. trifasciata. The remainder consists of many, many other species and subspecies of the most wonderful and delightful forms. Welcome to a collectors paradise. I don't even collect the variegated forms except for a S. masoniana or two.

So nice to have you aboard!

Michael
    Interlaken NY Z6

Original Author
    11 years ago

Hay Mike,
    Now that is going to get a lot of attention. (a lot of Mikes here).
    Now that you said you have a lot of sans and only a few trifasciata. Now the hard part. The trifasciata group is the most popular due to there ease of ownership. Very little demands as a house plant goes. It is these qualities that drew us to this plant in the fist place. And the Hahnii group is some of the most beautiful plants anyone could own. Don't read this wrong, I would love to have several of you plants but also the demand of more light and skill. Thanks to some very nice generous people here on this site, I now own several non trifasciata type and I love them. I only hope I can grow them the way they should be grown. Summer is easy but as you well know, winter is our killer season. This year should be different. Keeping warmer and dryer. As something Mike always said, 'Show me yours'. We need more action here this time of year. My newest ones so far;

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

Those are just BEAUTIFUL Stush, especially that top one. I have never seen that one sold around here.
    That new leaf is striking!

Why is it that not even nurseries sell these very different looking ones?

Thanks for the pics. Maybe some day I can share some pics too:-)
    Yes Mikes, please share some pics.

Mike

• bonsaigai
    11 years ago

Mike, I too love the masoniana. I think the reason we don't regularly see them is that they are slower to propagate than the trifasciatas. The were two nurseries in the Cleveland area that had good species and cultivars. They are both gone now - dead from the Big Box Syndrome.

Most of the plants I have are from a few specialty dealers, some eBay, and cactus and succulent society shows.

Geez Stush, you mean I have to take pictures?

Michael
    Interlaken, NY Z6

Original Author
    11 years ago

I was lucky to go to Bob Smoley's Greenhouses when he was in Pittsburgh, Pa. He mostly ran the place in the summer and come winter he went to Florida. Now he is only in Florida.
    I know about the trouble nurseries are having completing with the big box stores. My most favorite nursery was in North Lima, Ohio. They sold almost anything and would let you browse around the greenhouses while they worked. They would give free advise and show you anything you wanted to know. It was a real heart breaker to go and find the place closed and locked down.

• woodnative
    11 years ago

Stush-
    I worked at a place like that. They are still in business but not anything like they were 20-25 years ago. A shame.

Mike- did you get my e-mail? I sent it to the one in your address, correct? Please send me your address.

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

Chris! Thanks man:-)

I will e-mail you later and hello Stush. I hope you have been doing good these days. It's been tough for me, but hopefully better soon.

Take care

Mike