Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
barbmock

Quiet around here!

barbmock
11 years ago

Here's a progress report on my sans. I am seeing new growth on many of my new plants. I was very excited this morning to find new pups on Midnight shine and Masoniana Variegate. Wow, I didn't expect to see new pups til spring. Futura Gold Flame, Futura Asahi, Bantels Sensation are all showing new growth too. Everything is inside now since the night temps are below 60. On the other hand, one of my new hahni's is in intensive care, it has a bad case of rots. It was the one from Smoleys, the others all seem to be just fine. Also received several new plants recently from GW members. A nice assortment of Hahni's, Streaker, Silver Frost, Silver Marginata, Jade Dwarf Marginata, Futura Gilt Edge, Lavranos 23251, Ballyi Minnie, a very cute clump. I have several new plants from Smoleys, Druid Hill, Francissii, Parva Gilt Edge.

I really appreciate the people that have shared plants with me. I love my sans!

So, everyone, how are your plants doing these days? Do you have them moved inside yet? Any new plants to brag about?

Comments (23)

• Michaela
    11 years ago

Nice report, Barbara. I can tell you're now HOS (hooked on sans). Ha!

Can you cut way any bad tissues on your plant with rot? Hopefully it is just a leaf problem.

• barbmock
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Mike, Yes, definitely HOS! I have been giving away some of my other plants to make room for my sans.

The rotted one is dwarf jade marginated. Luckily, I got two of them. That plant had some damage down in the center when I got it. Also, we had a monsoon week, some rain every day plus humidity that seemed to be a hundred percent. I think that's what did it. It is shocking to see how fast that rot can set in. Stush warned me about it. He was right. I just pulled off some soggy leaves and I'm hoping for recovery. It's just a lesson to learn, I guess.

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    11 years ago

Barb,
    That rot in the center may be a good thing. It makes the plant pup out. But first get some household cinnamon. No sugar mix. Just sprinkle it over the rotted parts. Next time to water, you can water in or not. I does help.
    Stush
    And yes it does get quiet here starting this time of year. but of course we just watch.

• barbmock
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, Stush. I will try it. Just sprinkle it in the center? I was wondering about using some peroxide too.

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

No, no peroxide pls. just cinnamon. I wouldn't water it for a while either.

• barbmock
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Karen, will do just that.

What's going on with your plants?

• woodnative
    11 years ago

Hello bmock!
    I am not sure where to put these Sans!! Some are inside, some still outside despite some very cool night. I have moved the outside ones close to the house so they are a little sheltered. I notice they will keep pushing up pups for a while. Seems they get the "energy" outside and began producing those underground rhizomes. Sometimes these don't appear above soil until after they are brought in in the fall.

• barbmock
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Chris, It is encouraging to see those pups sprouting. Makes me feel like they are going to live.. It did seem like there was a growth spurt after they came inside.

It won't be long til cold weather.

• Michaela
    11 years ago

I have kilt more than one sansevieria by accidentally watering the crown in the wintertime as water "jumped out" when I lowered the watering can spout. If I water in the winter, I recommend putting water in the saucer and letting the plant draw it in from below. Also, windows are common places to put plants in the winter. That's fine if there are NO DRAFTS! Cold + water + drafts = death... even drafts from blower fans can be fatal.

• barbmock
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Okay, good advice, Mike. i sure don't want any more of these kilt!

11 years ago

Barb,
    When you do have to water. The peroxide in a watered down mix is helpful. The average store bought peroxide is 3%. Mix 4 to 1 (4 water to 1 peroxide) is good for first watering of rotted sans. Don't wet the leaves. So I've been told. Truth be known, It never helped me. The cinnamon has helped.

• barbmock
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Stush, I appreciate the help. I will be surprised if it lives. We'll see.

Have you been moving plants into the house? I'm so glad to get mine in away from the rains.

11 years ago

on going every year. My wife keeps giving me that look when I bring in the plants but says nothing. I got most in but some of the tropicals still out.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

Stush, they are cleaning the air, so that's something...

Hopefully I have at least a month before the f-word gets in the forecast, averages smaverages. Made it to late Nov. last year. Good luck to everyone when the time comes! It will be an interesting cram here, with decorative things that usually occupy some spaces put away until spring.

I've been forced into more reality time lately, cleaning and dealing with all of the junk that seems to multiply when one's not looking. It sucks being the only person with the magic to make things go where they belong. Gave Martha Stewart ample opportunity to show me how to do it right, but I'm starting to suspect she's not coming and I had to do it all wrong, alone. Oh well, her loss. I remain clueless and inept.

My fav magnet:

"Dust testing in progress. Please do not disturb the samples."

• barbmock
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Stush, "That look" has always been known as "The eyeroll" at our house. Says more than words. But seriously, we all have hobbies and we have to tolerate each other's stuff.

Purple, you are too funny. I wish Martha Stewart would come by and fix my housekeeping too. I always thought dust was a protective coating, not to be disturbed.

• elichka
    11 years ago

Barb

how was your experience w/Bob Smoley? Did you like the plants? how soon you received them(some people had issues)?

Inna

11 years ago

I am lucky to have never had a problem with Bob Smoly. It does happen I guess. I never had a problem with Glasshouse Works and then they sent me the wrong plant. I called and they said to just reorder. My though, why. You may just make the same mistake again and I am out on the first order. Then Hirts Greenhouses did the same thing only they really didn't care to even know why. So it does happen if you order long enough and large enough. But so far so good with Bob. I didn't report it to Garden Watchdog because I took into account all the orders and how good I was treated in the past. Glasshouse is noted for adding a few extra plants, as well as Smoleys.
    Stush
    BTW I do enjoy reading the above post of house cleaning.

• barbmock
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi there elichka,

I did have a good experience with Bob Smoley. Nice sized plants, and they arrived within two weeks. He responded to an email I sent him too. It might be a good idea to inquire about availability before ordering. I don't think he keeps the website up to date. There are some on my wishlist that are out of stock. I lost a jade marginated hahnii from him a couple of weeks after I got it, don't know if it was my error or his. That's the only casualty so far. Good luck with your shopping. Barb

• elichka
    11 years ago

Thank you Stush and Barb for your insight regarding Bob Smoley. I'm not planning to order now, can't find place for all my plants. Some of them still outside on a covered porch. We have mild nights(knock on wood). All my Sans are inside all over the place.

Inna

• barbmock
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Inna

It's easy to get too many plants to fit the space. I am going to have to be careful about that too. Spring is probably the best time to order anyway. Is there anything in particular that you are looking for?

• elichka
    11 years ago

Well I would like to get my hands on concinna, both regular and dwarf type LAV 5949 and LAV 5933. i don't know why I like them that much, maybe because of their size;)

Inna

• barbmock
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Inna, I'm familiar with those. Someone generously shared with me this summer. I have the dwarf form. I don't see any new growth on it yet. I will share some starts eventually. Some of them are slow growers though, it may take some time. Nice plant though.

• elichka
    11 years ago

Barb, thanks. I heard they are very slooow. let see if i still have the same itch by spring

Inna