Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stush49

New Sans Plant, Moonshine vari.

Found on internet. Wow. In Indonesia. Cheap but no way to buy it. Maybe on ebay soon? Any one else have seen this?

Comments (14)

• barbmock
    10 years ago

Hi Stush,

No, I haven't seen anything like this. I like it though. We always seem to go for the variegated ones.

• woodnative
    10 years ago

This is a cultivar I have wanted for a lomg time!! I have not seen one as nice as this onebefore Stush. Very nice!!

• roberto2
    10 years ago

You find everything You want (...and much more!) in Indonetwork : http://indonetwork.co.id/alloffers/sansevieria.html
    but, be aware it is not so easy to get plants from Asia . Best suggestion is to order small unconspicuous packet, and....pray!!

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    Original Author
    10 years ago

With a $35 shipping charge, how do you order small. I put in a $95 order with shipping total $130 and lost it all. Made it to New York City where our USDA trashed it. Sent me the beat up box with a notice of needing a Phyo-Cert. But this shippment was lost. live and learn
    Stush

• roberto2
    10 years ago

I lost two packets the same way. But got many more and , to me, it is worth the riisk. Well, each (arrived) plant ends at about 50 euros, but it is the only way to have the new cultivars....

Original Author
    10 years ago

Just my luck it was the first shipment I ever made outside the US.

• Solar_Storm
    10 years ago

It sure doesn't look like a trifasciata cultivar with those wrinkled edges. Are the leaves soft or stiff? Could it be another species like metallica or hyacinthoides from Florida?

• roberto2
    10 years ago

No, it is a true Moonshine variegated : there are two types.
    Here is the "Brazilian" Moonshine I ordered in Indonesia and... found dead in the parcel. So, Stush, I share Your luck!

C:\Users\Roberto\Desktop\brazilian.jpg

• norma_2006
    10 years ago

Oh dear I'm sorry Stush, I wish you told me that you were going to do that, I would have warned you. Customs has gotten very nasty this past year. It looks like on purpose. All of my friends reported this happening, my one plant that went to Okalahoma was trashed. I only sent one 'String of Beads' an empty box arrived, I don't know why. It was a free plant going to a dear friend. It takes all of the fun out of our hobby. At least she didn't have to pay for the plant and I spent money only on the postage. Norma

Original Author
    10 years ago

Roberto,
    Yes, that was one of the plants I have also ordered. The one you post looks great.
    Solar,
    I have only a picture to show. I don't have the plant.
    Norma,
    So far I have had good luck inside the U.S. Every State is different. Most don't have restristions.
    Stush

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

If there is dirt/soil/media/mix whatever in the box, that's the concern, I think? I can see where there would be concern over soil moving around, especially out of AL, ground zero of fire ant invasion. None of the plants I've sent or received have anything to do with crops/edibles. There's never any dirt either, just moist paper towels, newspaper, plastic bags. Cardboard paper towel or TP rolls can be handy too.

Did these packages that were destroyed that were sent from within the US to within the US say on the outside what was in them? Did they have 'dirt?' What rule was broken to give the right for that to be done? I would prefer to not bother if something like that is going to happen, though would certainly expect my $50 automatic insurance payment. House plant cuttings don't fall into any of the categories they ask about when you go to the PO to send the box. I told the lady what they were and she said something like, "oh, no problem."

I've traded cuttings many times since early spring and have had no problems, HI, AR, NJ, NY, VA, GA. One box had 'live plants' stickers and some kind of certification on it. I used the same box to send plants elsewhere, left the 'live plants' part on but removed the certification thing since it no longer applied. It arrived unmolested here, and at its' next destination.

I know it's illegal to trade outside the US, so I don't bother trying.

Original Author
    10 years ago

purpleinopp,
    It is legal to trade outside the U.S. as long as they have a phylo. Cert. cost is around $25. It shows that the plants have been inspected and free of insects and disease. You have to apply for a permit PPQ 587 in advance to the US Department of Agriculture. A lot of trouble and not worth it for only a few plants. Phylo is shortened, I don't have the correct spelling for the whole word.
    Stush

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

Yes that's my understanding too. Private citizens would be extremely unlikely to have that, without which a package would be illegal. There's also a concern over time. How long would stuff be in a box to go overseas, or through customs?

Phytosanitary certification, according to goog.

I still don't understand why the domestic packages were molested.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the correct spelling. Was too tired to look up.

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County