Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
woodnative

Sans you are looking for??

woodnative
9 years ago

Sans are fun plants. If I had a large greenhouse or lived in an appropriate climate I would have a lot more and larger plants. As it is, space is limited, and I have cut down a bit on types I either could not grow well. I have tried a bunch of types, have favorites and failures and very limited room. A couple I really enjoy and I will always have. There are not many I am looking for. I love the white variegated S. t. 'Moonshine'....the one with extra white stripes on top of the normal silver. I would love to get a hold of some hahni striated with random stripes.....there are some photos in the e-book but have not seen them elsewhere. That is probably it, although a variegated hallii or kirkii Coppertone would be neat. Anything you guys have your eye out for? If it is something I have extras of maybe I could help or if not maybe someone else here has surplus.

Comments (7)

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    9 years ago

Chris, Sounds like me. I would love to have a all yellow hahnii with the tiny green edge. I beleive it is called Solid Gold. Seen pictures from England. Right now, I got more plants than room in the house.
    Stush

• barbmock
    9 years ago

Hi Guys,

I was dragging plants inside this week and thinking how great it would be to have a nice greenhouse. I don't think it's gonna happen though. I have so many nice sans, and next spring it will be time to divide and share some. There are only a couple that I am still hoping to find. They are variegated futura and Forescate. Stush, I do have the Forescate you shared, but it is so slow, it would be great if someone has extra to share or sell.

• Enterotoxigenic00
    9 years ago

I've had a coppertone for two years now and it has only given me one offset.
    Pretty but I would like it to really crank out more like the Whitney or the tons of 'Moonshine' I have now. I love my new Parva white (finicky) that I received from a very generous person here. The Golden hahnii are so cute. The Bantel's sensation has become a favorite along with the moonshine
    The variegations really catch my eye. I am cautious with what I acquire,
    I get tired of being a 'killer'.
    Many of my sans are outside in the shade for the summer. Just have the problem bringing all of them in along with everything else I put outside. The various spider plants really flourish during the summer.
    I am still looking for 'Eve' I think I'll appreciate it more when I get my grubby hands on one.

This post was edited by Enterotoxigenic00 on Tue, Sep 9, 14 at 9:08

9 years ago

Karen,
    My Eve has split the plastic pot and has 4 rhizomes coming out. So I'll put you down next spring for a couple. I have been feeding them Sulfur and phosphate in their water and with the past Alfalfa meal with a touch of potassium I think I got them to root and pup now. Still working on Forescate and 'Asahi' ( 'Morgenstern's Futura Aurea'). They are growing great but no pups. Maybe in the pot yet.
    Stush

• Enterotoxigenic00
    9 years ago

Hmmm, Stush, I'm going out in the back to pick alfalfa to
    make tea it's going to be time to water soon.
    Are you measuring a specific amt. of Potassium to H20?
    Sulfur and phosphate? From a feed or garden store?
    Making me go back to my chemistry days! I love it!
    Thank you for 'listing me'.
    I know this isn't the place but would anyone just
    love to have dragon fruit (pink) cuttings? Please.
    They grow like weeds in this heat. I don't have room.
    Karen

• woodnative
    Original Author
    9 years ago

bmock which variegated future? YOu can pm if you wish. I have a small 'forescate' that is not thriving either......that is one I have trouble with in the winter. Ironically I have not had any problem with parva white and even the yellow parva...........both among my favorites I will always have.

9 years ago

I have no special formula for my mix. Sulfur mixed with water and use on my Sans. Lowers the ph and helps to stop root fungus. Triple super phosphate same thing. Less chance of burning and so far so good. it gives the roots a boost to fill in the pots. I even over dosed on some plants to see what will happen. No ill effects. But like anything else, keep it as a little bit for a long time.
    The first things I noticed to pick up is my Huernias. Responded very well. And got some blooms out of it.
    I'll go back to the Alfalfa tea during winter again.
    Stush