Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
toadglory_ind

mixing sansevieria with humidity-lovers

Toadglory_IND
18 years ago

I wanted to get one of these tallish sansevierias, but my first choice of location for it is sharing shelf space with my humidity-loving croton and african mask plant and their trays of wet pebbles. Can these plants hang out with high humidity plants, or do I really need to keep it in the window with the cacti and the kalanchoe tomentosa?

thanks, toadglory

Comments (5)

• dufflebag2002
    18 years ago

I think it will depend on the species, where did it come from. Tropical East coast Africa/ India, Burma, Boff of coral hills, along the beach, out in the desert among the grass, or under bushes, or in the hot sun. Most come from Africa. EXAMPLE: S. rorida Italian Somaliland, In sandy places on the coast near Magadoxo (name may have been changed)
    Look up each one to find out that information then you will know which ones will take the tropical conditions. I have never seen Sansevieria grown in a Tropical green house, but then I haven't seen everything yet. Norma

• karen715
    18 years ago

As far as I know, a Sansevieria trifasciata (snake plant, mother-in-law's tongue) type won't mind the extra humidity, if you A) don't overwater it and B) don't let it get too cold (nothing lower than comfortable household temps.)

• ddiverblue
    18 years ago

I lived in the Marshall Islands for years. We grew the Sansevieria trifasciata outside in the ground. The "soil" was just crushed coral which made for terrific drainage. They were invasive and didn't mind the 100"+ of rain per year, salt spray, and very high humidity. I have some of mine sitting next to African violets, ferns, and episcias. They seem to do fine. The area has a humidifier running all winter.

• marguerite_gw Zone 9a
    18 years ago

ddiverblue, it was brilliant to see your answer, as that is just what I needed to know too! So thanks to you, Toadglory, for asking this question.

• ddiverblue
    18 years ago

I'm glad it was helpful. I've spent the day bringing in my sans, adeniums, and euphorbias before it gets too cool for them. The house gets pretty crowded during the winter. LOL! All of these plants really benefit from a summer outside when I don't accidentally get them sunburned.