Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
smithjm_gw

ID please

smithjm
18 years ago

I bought this with no tag and it looked like one I have already. The difference is the middle part is green with darker green stripes across, this one is solid green.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://community.webshots.com/photo/357680679/449339693gfXAgA#

Comments (9)

• smithjm
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Is the shorter middle plant on the picture the same plant as the one above?

Here is a link that might be useful: http://community.webshots.com/photo/357680679/408388313hFqZLO#

• Michaela
    18 years ago

Your plant appears to be a Sansevieria Hahnii Jade dwarf marginated.

• karen715
    18 years ago

I agree with Michaela's id of your plant. May I also say that it is lovely?

I do not think the small plant in the pot with the larger Sans in the second picture is the same. Is it a separate plant that you (or the nursery) placed in the pot with the plain green Sans? Or is a naturally occuring variation from the larger plant?

• smithjm
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Karen, I placed it there but I guess I overwatered and now its dead, shame on me for overwatering lol. I really hate it when that happens. I'm more carful now, anyway I don't feel bad, we've all been guilty of overwatering at some point.

• smithjm
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I was looking around online and found this picture. Could this be my plant? this is the id the pictures had below, Sansevieria trifasciata 'Jade Dwarf Marginated'

Here is a link that might be useful:

• karen715
    18 years ago

Yes, I think that is it. I just looked in my sans book (B. Juan Chahinian's The Sansevieria Trifasciata Varieties from 1986.) Your plant is Sansevieria trifasciata 'Jade Dwarf Marginated'. I didn't realize that 'Hahnii' wasn't part of the name of this one, because it is in the name of so many of the other small varieties.

I'm sorry about your other plant. The small S. trifasciatas seem to be far more sensitive to overwatering than the tall varieties. I've lost many of them that way.

• smithjm
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Do you know how big they will get? I'm looking online but all I found was pictures and no info.

• russ_fla
    18 years ago

There are exceptions, but max size for most Hahnii types is around 6 inches or so, usually a little less tho. Karen, you're right, 'Hahnii' should really be included in all of the Hahnii-type names, just for the sake of recognition. But many don't have it in the formal name. I think 'Jade Dwarf Marginated' is one of the more choice selections in the Hahnii group, the butter yellow margins are striking against the plain dark green leaf. By the way, you can obtain another Sans, 'Jade Dwarf', without the yellow margins, by planting a leaf cutting of the marginated form.
    Russ

• russ_fla
    18 years ago

The small yellow margined Sans in the full pot of regular
    trifasciata would appear to be S. trifasciata 'Laurentii'.
    If it's a completely separate plant, not coming from the
    trifasciata, it's possible it could be a 'Futura Simplex',
    which is not as common as 'Laurentii' but not rare. The yellow margin's too wide to be a regular 'Futura', but I'd bet on 'Laurentii'.
    Russ

Sponsored
ANF Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Kitchen & Bath Designers Servicing VA