Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ericpg_gw

Sansevieria & Clivia are dying

ericpg
14 years ago

I re potted both of them with Pro-Mix potting soil.

Are they dying because the Pro-Mix holds too much water?

I followed the instructions: water through the media, then plant it carefully. After 2 weeks the potting mix was still very wet, and now the leaves turned yellow.

Any suggestion on the media?

Comments (2)

• norma_2006
    14 years ago

Clivia, can use that soil, but are starting to go domant, and will drop their leaves, do not forse them to grow,
    Sansevieria need a fast draining soil, with a lot of pumice or substitute. San. will rot in the winter unless kept warm. Than you can water, but still cut back. I have 100F temperatures now, so must water weekly, still some rot becuse of humidity. Most grow out on grassy plains behind shrubs, trees for any shade they can get, the tropical plants grown along streams, or in fog, or spray from Victory falls, others grow in old antient coral beds or on the side of cliffs, there water strams down from the rain, or they gather moisture from the air, and it drips down to give them the water they need. They get rain water which is soft water. All will flower with the right cultural care. All flower at night. All like to be crowded in the pots and can break anything they are put in including asphalt pavement. Many send out runners under the soil line, and some above, they need fertilizer when in the process of growing and lots of water when it is warm. Nov. you may go on vaction they will need no care at all until April 1. They need some light to grow. if they have a soft leaf they will need more water than the ones that have a hard leaf and they are slow growers for most people. I am hoping that some of this information will be of help to all of the beinners. Thank you, Norma

• melissa_thefarm
    14 years ago

Hear, hear, Norma, that's a good primer. I'll add my two bits and you can correct if I make bad suggestions.

What works for me is to not have the plants wet and cool at the same time. They can't take much cool anyway--I remember reading somewhere (probably on this forum)--that 55F is about the minimum. But they shouldn't be even cool and moist at the same time. When I water mine in the summer I do it early enough in the day so that they're dry when the sun goes down, as our nights in summer are in the seventies, sometimes sixties. Don't let water stand in trays below the pots. Right now our daytime temperatures have dropped, and though it's still comfortable, I've stopped watering my Sans. I think they need it to be really hot before they want water. I've also shifted then into a sunnier position, so that they soak up more warmth during the day. It's very important for the potting soil to be free-draining. My varieties aren't fussy kinds: I use about half regular potting soil, one quarter coarse sand, and one quarter pellets of puffed clay, used in construction. When I repot them in late spring I give them a bit of slow release fertilizer like Norma says. I imagine my potting mix isn't perfect, but my plants mostly live, and even grow in a modest way.

Good luck!

Melissa